Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 23 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Coordinates assigned programs and staff, in areas such as fitness, Active Older Adults, and/or strength training. Ensures that programs operate in a quality manner, consistent with YMCA guidelines and standards.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Recruits, trains, and supervises volunteer and paid staff.
- Develops special events and seasonal programs for members.
- Develops, implements, supervises and evaluates programs for YMCA members and other groups.
- Plans and instructs individuals, groups and/or classes.
- Participates in marketing and retention activities.
- Assists with development and management of the department budget.
- Maintains records related to program.
- Attends and conducts staff meetings and trainings.
- Maintains current certifications.
- May perform fitness testing and orientations.
- Ensures a safe and effective workout area.
- Reports equipment problems.
- Discusses and promotes all YMCA programs.
- Motivates members and staff to commit to long-term participation.
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor or the person responsible for those items at your site.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to managing visitors and guests at our facilities.
- Report any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Complete all child abuse prevention training as required.
- Support the YMCA’s mission and center operations as needed.
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Health and Wellness, Fitness, or related field with 1 to 3 years of experience with some supervisory experience.
- Have specific knowledge and ability in fitness instruction as well as preventative measures in health and fitness.
- Possess the ability to communicate verbally and in writing to individuals and small groups.