Be part of our mission.
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 20 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Job Summary & Key Accountabilities
The Mobile Engineering team is responsible for providing in-house construction painting, simple electrical, simple plumbing and other skilled trade to support all YMCA facilities and locations including emergency repairs, equipment, upgrades/enhancements and small capital projects. This role is accountable for applying skilled construction trade knowledge to provide remodeling and renovation consistent with facility plans, budget, industry best practices and standards. This includes property interior and exterior areas, walls and flooring, installed fixtures, lighting, equipment, etc.
This role also is responsible for documenting work performed and performing required recordkeeping in order to ensure that repairs, upgrades and other work performed is properly documented and informs preventative maintenance plans that maximize efficiency and investment.
This role will provide subject matter expertise and ensure that work is being performed in an efficient, safe and professional manner while reducing down time and provide a high level of customer service and support working with supervisor, maintenance teams and internal customers across the Association.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Ability to tape and hang drywall.
- Ability to tape and paint professionally with a degree of accuracy.
- Must understand and be able to repair/hang suspended ceilings.
- Must be able to lay carpet tiles, VCT and Ceramic tiles or have a good understanding of it.
- Must be able to climb a ladder and work from scaffold.
- Continuous learning to understand and apply knowledge of specific equipment, and the methods required to use them properly, that are required in everyday activities.
- Perform assigned facility inspections and due diligence efforts, including reporting on conditions impacting ongoing operations, facilities and maintenance plans.
- Documents work performed in the YMCA’s work order system as required and maintains all other records and documentation needed.
- Complies with all safety policies, processes and procedures with regards to the operations, repairs and maintenance of systems, equipment, tools, vehicles and work areas.
- Performs safety inspections to recognize and document safety hazards including proposing risk mitigation plans and adjustments to maintenance plans and practices.
- Understands and adheres to all related federal, state, county and local laws, regulations, building codes and ordinances in work performed to ensure compliance.
- Completes safety and other job-related training as required.
Customer Service Management
- Provides a high level of internal customer service to internal customers including responding to work orders within service levels and providing updates to maintenance team members and location leadership.
- Consults with regional and maintenance team at assigned locations and/or other constituents as needed in order to understand customer needs and respond to requests.
Child Abuse Prevention
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Minimum and Preferred Requirements
- Technical, hands-on expertise in HVAC, electrical and/or plumbing and/or mechanical systems including diagnosis, troubleshooting and repairs
- Knowledge of OSHA and related safety practices as well as state and local safety, fire, construction, and public access regulations.
- Ability to keep detailed, accurate and complete records and documentation as needed.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), email, Facility Dude or related software; ability to learn and adapt to new technology
- Customer service orientation, with the ability to effectively communicate on a regular basis with internal customers, manage customer expectations and take responsibility for a high level of service.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely present ideas and concepts and tailor communication to multiple, non-technical audiences including team, customers, and other constituents.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to effective build and maintain relationships with customers, team members and other stakeholders and constituents.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple, competing priorities to maximize personal and team effectiveness.
- Continuous learner who leverages opportunities for learning and applies new knowledge and skills.
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Leader competencies in previous experience or practice.
- Meet physical qualifications required as outlined in job description including visual acuity.
- Ability to travel locally in the Chicagoland (city and suburbs) with a valid Driver’s License