Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 23 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow.
The Sr. Training and Development Specialist is an integral member of the YMCA’s Training and Leadership Development team responsible for maximizing employee development and engagement to achieve organizational strategy and goals. This includes accountability for needs assessment and gap analysis, curriculum development, instructional design, content development, course delivery and facilitation, learning assessment, and training evaluation. This role, in collaboration with the TLD team and other stakeholders is also responsible for consulting on and achieving standards for employee development including standardized templates, tools and methodology to develop high-quality learning and enhance employee onboarding and development. This role also oversees tracking and reporting on association-wide training compliance and assists in managing the Association’s Learning Management System (LMS).
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Accountable for exempt-level employee development and training to ensure service offerings are developed, executed and aligned with TLD vision, organizational needs and goals. Works with TLD team members to align offerings to an overall roadmap for employee onboarding and development.
- Responsible for ensuring that all employees are effectively onboarded into the organization and participate in relevant development and course offerings. Facilitates New Hire Orientation and other training at Metro and field locations as needed.
- Creates and maintains an employee development catalogue that can be incorporated in curricula and individual development plans.
- Responsible for course registration, enrollment, certification tracking and other related activities to effectively deliver training and maximize supervisor and employee experience and engagement. Manages the Association Training calendar.
- Performs instructional design and delivery of courseware and tools based on desired learning outcomes and principles of adult learning. This includes classroom training, synchronous and asynchronous learning, learning assessments, job aids/toolkits and other development resources, tools and materials.
- Facilitates the use of internal/external subject matter experts and collaborators in design and delivery of training programs, including scheduling/facilitating trainers and overseeing train-the-trainer programs.
- Assists in design of curricula to meet role-based and leadership training and development plans
- Tracks association-wide development and compliance metrics in conjunction with team members
- In collaboration with TLD team, develops training templates and tools for use by TLD and other constituents in the Association to ensure employee development is of high-quality, consistent, aligned and well-integrated.
- Supports the mission and vision of the YMCA as assigned
- Supports the commitment of the YMCA to Child Abuse Prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to the appropriate department.
- Regularly monitoring staff to ensure compliance with training requirements, policies and procedures related to child safety.
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Instructional Design, Organizational Development or related degree or equivalent experience
- Must have four (4) or more years of training and development experience including curriculum development, instructional design, content development, training delivery, and evaluating course effectiveness.
- Passion and commitment to the YMCA’s mission
- Ability to develop and deliver high-quality courseware and tools using knowledge of adult learning principles and best practices
- Experience in multiple training delivery methods including classroom, as well as online asynchronous and synchronous learning. Experience with train-the-trainer models also preferred.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-learning development tools (e.g. Articulate, Adobe Captivate or the like) and Learning Management System (LMS ) software.
- Must be a continuous learner who stays abreast of training trends and best practices
- Demonstrated facilitation and communication skills (both verbal and written) including strong writing and presentation skills with the ability to adapt appropriately to different audiences.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Strong time management skills; must be able to multi-task and adapt to multiple priorities.
- Ability to travel locally, when needed, to locations throughout the Chicagoland area (city and suburbs) to deliver training.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which may require training in the evening or on weekends to effectively serve our employees.
- Training certification in Achieve Global is a plus.