You are the “Y”.
Earn a $300 sign-on bonus upon achievement of your lifeguard certification, provided you are an active employee working as a lifeguard or swim instructor at the time of payout. Earn another $300 retention bonus after 6 months of employment as a Lifeguard or Swim Instructor.
We’re more than a pool – we are a family committed to developing strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago, through fitness, healthy living, academic readiness, character development and violence prevention. The YMCA provides everyone with a safe place to swim, learn, play and grow.
Our Head Swim Team Coaches provide instructions and workouts that will prepare participants for their individual needs such as competition and fitness. For over 150 years, the YMCA has been a pioneer and set the standard for aquatics and quality swim instruction. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our Aquatic Coordinators, Lifeguards, and Swim Instructors to continue this legacy and contribute to the health and wellness of our children, families and communities.
- Effectively design and plan a workout curriculum for all levels including creating a season outline containing practice schedules, meet schedules, workout goals, and important events to present to Aquatic Director
- Set up the facility and equipment, and store the equipment upon completion in addition to immediately notify a supervisor of any broken equipment or unsafe aspects of the pool.
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor or the person responsible for those items at your site.
- Enforce aquatic rules and policies by maintaining constant surveillance of participants.
- Act as a primary responder in case of injury, accident, or illness in the pool area and provide backup to lifeguards as needed in emergencies and crowd control. Report all injuries and complete required forms.
- Provide constant feedback to participants to facilitate improvement.
- Record and maintain attendance records.
- Complete all administration duties related to the team including enforcing payment of program fees under the direction of the Aquatic Director
- Overall responsibility for the scheduling of assistant coaches. Ensuring that there are an appropriate number of coaches as dictated by registration.
- Cover last minute shifts for assistant coaches when illness or emergency matters arise.
- Develop a volunteer parent’s committee.
- Establish and maintain good communication with participants, parents, and supervisor.
- Maintain a positive attitude and act in a professional manner when interacting with patrons, program participants, and other staff, at all times.
- Actively participate in maintaining certifications and obtaining further/advance certifications.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations.
- ASCA Lvl 2 or Lvl 3 swim team coach
- USA Swimming certified
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent with prior experience with competitive swimming experience.
- Must be proficient in swimming and safety skills.
- Must have ability to motivate and educate participants.
- Must be mentally capable to handle dangerous situations in order to assure the safety of all swimmers.
- Must have daytime availability in the summer for practices and meets.
- Strong computer skills required.
Child Abuse Prevention
Support the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training, as required