Make a Difference in Your Community!
The Regional Maintenance Manager is responsible for the execution of facility plans and the provision of engineering, maintenance and repair services at multiple, assigned YMCA locations regionally to ensure a positive member/participant experience and optimize resources. Acts as primary point-of-contact and subject matter expert to the leadership of each assigned location to analyze and report on facility needs and requirements and provide a high level of customer service to assigned locations within service level agreements and preventative/emergency maintenance plans. Oversees and provides hands-on support for routine, preventative, and emergency maintenance services as needed including carpentry, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, landscape services and other building systems to optimize service quality and maintenance costs while adhering to building codes, maintenance standards and processes. Serves as a liaison between field locations and the Integrated Business Systems team on prioritizing and delivering on facilities operations, engineering and capital projects. Provides leadership to maintenance teams at assigned locations including directing and prioritizing team resources, managing departmental budgets and providing supervision, coaching, and ongoing training to drive team’s engagement, performance and development.
Scope of Responsibilities
Facility Plans and Maintenance Engineering/Repair Services
- For assigned locations, ensures facilities and maintenance functions are following related standards, building codes, policies and processes in support of internal quality standards and controls. This includes:
- Regularly performs building walkthroughs and audits to update facilities plans, and monitor facilities and equipment.
- Surveys and tracks all mechanical, plumbing, electrical, fitness and pool equipment if applicable, to enhance service quality and ensures compliance with preventive maintenance plans.
- Monitors and evaluates utility services including electricity, natural gas, water, storm drainage, and septic systems.
- Monitors fire and life safety systems, stand-by generators, UPS systems, elevator and emergency exit plans
- Ensures compliance with OSHA safety standards throughout assigned locations
- Maintains appropriate records and documentation, as needed
- Monitors, assigns and completes work orders in a timely manner for assigned locations, including reporting on work completion and analyzing performance within service level agreements. Procures necessary materials and provides direction to team, vendors and others as appropriate to complete work orders and documents results.
- Utilizes maintenance management system to prioritize, assign, track, analyze and report on work orders and activities.
- Assists with capital project plans including planning and coordinating renovations and modifications to the facilities related to electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and other skilled trades, as needed. Acts as the onsite project manager, where required.
- Acts as a maintenance engineering subject matter expert in evaluating, troubleshooting, and providing guidance on building and equipment issues as needed at assigned or other YMCA locations.
- Keeps abreast of related regulations, equipment, building and safety standards, reporting requirements and systems/equipment; continuously builds skills in order facilitate and guide team performance and proactively address facilities and maintenance issues.
- Travels regularly locally to assigned locations as well as other YMCA locations as needed
Department and Customer Service Management
- Provides a high level of internal customer service to assigned locations including responding to internal customer needs, analyzing facility/system requirements and providing reporting to location leadership on ongoing maintenance, work order progress, achievement of service level agreements, projects, and building operations.
- Consults with leadership at assigned locations and/or other constituents as needed on the health of buildings and related systems in order to understand customer needs, respond to requests, build facilities/maintenance-related plans and provide guidance to internal customers on facilities/maintenance-related issues.
- Creates, oversees and manages department budgets in conjunction with Integrated Business Systems, Finance/Business Office and Building Engineers at assigned locations within YMCA guidelines.
Minimum and Preferred Requirements
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Facilities engineering experience typically held by those with 7-10 or more years of related experience or an equivalent combination of related education and experience; 5 or more years in a supervisory capacity strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in all phases of physical plant operations including building systems, equipment maintenance and repair, facilities planning, scheduling, maintenance management and administration
- Technical, hands-on expertise in HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems including diagnosis, troubleshooting and repairs
- Understanding of blueprints, knowledge of building codes and experience developing accurate cost estimates and budgets
- Knowledge of OSHA and related safety practices as well as state and local safety, fire, construction, and public access regulations.
- Ability to keep detailed, accurate and complete records and documentation as needed.
- Relevant budget management experience, with the ability to create, monitor and effectively manage large budgets to plan
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), email, Facility Dude or related software; ability to learn and adapt to new technology
- Experience leading, motivating and supporting a diverse, high-performing team including identifying, selecting, onboarding, developing and evaluating team members and facilitating change.
- Strategic thinking skills including effective planning, setting goals, monitoring progress, tracking results and making appropriate adjustments to plans based on circumstances and context.
- Customer service orientation, with the ability to effectively communicate on a regular basis with internal customers, build relationships, manage customer expectations and take responsibility for a high level of service.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely present ideas and concepts and tailor communication to multiple, non-technical audiences including team, customers, and other constituents.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively build and maintain relationships with customers, team members and other stakeholders and constituents.
- Track record of continuous improvement including proactively identifying and effectively addressing departmental needs and gaps.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple, competing priorities to maximize personal and team effectiveness.
- Continuous learner who actively identifies and leverages opportunities and sources of learning and information and applies new knowledge and skills to improve performance.
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Team Leader competencies in previous experience or practice.
- Meet physical qualifications required as outlined in job description including visual acuity.
- Ability to travel locally in the Chicagoland (city and suburbs) with a valid Driver’s License
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required