Are you looking for a fun Summer job?
The Buehler YMCA is hiring seasonal Summer Camp, Gymnastics Camp Counselors! Join us for the experience of a lifetime.
The Summer Gymnastics Camp Counselor serves as a professional role model for our campers by leading through example and guiding campers through recreational activities that teach life skills, encourage healthy and safe behaviors and create a positive camper experience. The Summer Sports Camp Counselor ensures that each youth has adequate supervision including ensuring that no youth is unsupervised at any time.
Summer Gymnastics Camp Counselors receive comprehensive training, a Monday thru Friday work schedule that leaves your weekends free, field trips to cool places, the chance to meet and work with amazing co-workers, and a free Y membership!!
Our staff is the Y's greatest asset. Our teams provide valuable skills, knowledge, and passion that is essential to the contribution and positive impact in our communities, which is why we offer Y employees numerous perks and benefits, including:
- Be part of a team that is passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable environment for all staff, volunteers, and members
- Do meaningful work and contribute to the advancement of the YMCA vision by meeting the needs of the people in our communities
As a Summer Gymnastics Camp Counselor, you are responsible to:
- Promote the YMCA, provide excellent customer service and create an outstanding camper experience for children, parents, and families
- Lead recreational activities with campers, including but not limited to: sports, social recreation, songfests, and other games and hobbies
- Instruct campers using various teaching methods and modifies activities as needed to ensure that campers of all ages and experience levels are engaged
- Teach socially acceptable behaviors to campers by serving as a role model and by using age-appropriate positive reinforcement and behavior management strategies
- Communicate consistently with supervisors, team leaders, unit leaders, and other team members to ensure everyone is kept abreast of camp activities and schedule
- Supports camp activities as assigned by supervisor, including any specialty camp activities
- Ensures the physical and emotional health and safety of campers by being safety conscious, following all established YMCA standards, and critically evaluating situations for potential risks
- Ensures compliance with established rules and regulations to ensure safety
- Monitors campers and counselors and provides corrective coaching and intervention as necessary
- Set-up facilities and/or equipment for activities and store equipment appropriately after use and work to keep camp facilities clean at all times
Minimum Requirements & Preferred Qualifications:
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- A commitment to and a passion for working with diverse youth.
- Enjoy being outdoors, are creative, and not afraid to work and play hard.
- Your experience in camping, childcare, education, recreation, sports, or related is a plus but not required.
- You will be 16 years of age or older by the start of camp.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely present ideas and concepts and tailor communication to multiple audiences
- Passion for working with diverse youth and ability to provide high-quality instruction using age-appropriate practices.
- Proven ability to establish constructive relationships and interact as a positive role model.
- Continuous learner who leverages opportunities for learning and applies new knowledge and skills.
- Meets physical qualifications required as outlined in the job description. The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities
Child Abuse Prevention
Support the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training, as required