Be a leader and save lives.
Earn a $300 sign-on bonus upon achievement of your lifeguard certification, provided you are an active employee working as a lifeguard or swim instructor at the time of payout. Earn another $300 retention bonus after 6 months of employment as a Lifeguard or Swim Instructor.
The YMCA is hiring Lifeguards!
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 14 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow.
Reasons to work at the Y.
- Be part of a team that cares about one another.
- Make a difference. Contribute to building a better, stronger community for all
- When you work here, you will find opportunities to try new things. Every day is something new.
- YMCA Membership, discounted programs, and much more!
- The job was designed with your schedule in mind. Part-time and full-time positions are available, making jobs at the Y ideal for students and non-students alike!
Do you enjoy…
- Making lifelong friendships?
- Having life-saving skills that give you the ability to keep others safe?
- Meeting new people and working with other team members?
- Creating connections with others and building positive experiences?
- Building skills for the future?
What you’ll do:
- Provide a high-level of customer service to members, program participants and guests at all times
- Supervise and guard the pool and aquatic facility and ensure participants adhere to all YMCA aquatic guidelines and procedures.
- Examine injured persons and administer first aid or cardiopulmonary resuscitation, if necessary, using training and medical supplies and equipment.
- Rescue distressed persons, using rescue techniques and equipment.
- Contact emergency medical personal in case of serious injury.
- Actively participate in obtaining further water safety certifications.
- Attend all in-service trainings and staff meetings as scheduled by supervisor or center leadership team.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Must succesfully complete water skills assessment.
- Must complete the YMCA's Lifeguard certifaction program or have current YMCA or American Red Cross certification and current First Aid, AED, CPR, and Oxygen Administration certifications.
- Physical mobility to properly use aquatic equipment to rescue a 200 lb. person and meet other physical requirements required for job certification.
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations to assure the safety of all swimmers.
- Must be physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aid effectively.
- Ability to meet physical requirements based on the job description: the YMCA will accommodate reasonable accommodations for persons with disability
YMCA Vaccine Policy
We’re committed to the health and wellness of our employees, members, program participants, and those most vulnerable. If hired by the YMCA, you will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination no later than two (2) days prior to your start date unless an exemption for a medical condition or sincerely-held religious beliefs is granted.
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention