Are you looking for a FUN Summer Job? The YMCA is hiring Summer Day Camp- Counselors for 2023
Join us for the experience of a lifetime!
At the Y, we create an exciting, safe camp environment for kids and staff to have an unforgettable summer. While campers are taking part in in unique experiences and adventures, our Summer Day Camp Counselors are developing leadership skills and confidence while making lasting friendships and memories.
Summer Day Camp Counselors receive comprehensive training, a Monday-Friday work schedule that leaves your weekends free, field trips to fun places, the chance to meet and work with an amazing diverse group of people, a free Y family membership, discounted programs and lots of opportunity for growth!
The Summer Day Camp Counselor serves as a professional role model for our campers by leading through example and guiding campers through recreational activities that teach life skills, encourage healthy and safe behaviors and create a positive camper experience. The Summer Camp Counselor ensures that each youth has adequate supervision including ensuring that no youth is unsupervised at any time.
As a Summer Day Camp Counselor, you are responsible to:
- Promote the YMCA, provide excellent customer service and create an outstanding camper experience for children, parents and families.
- Lead recreational activities with campers, including but not limited to: arts and crafts, sports, social recreation, songfests, nature hikes, archery, and other games and hobbies
- Instruct campers using various teaching methods and modifies activities as needed to ensure that campers of all ages and experience levels are engaged
- Teach socially acceptable behaviors to campers by serving as a role model and by using age-appropriate positive reinforcement and behavior management strategies
- Communicate consistently with supervisors, team leaders, unit leaders and other team members to ensure everyone is kept abreast of camp activities and schedule
- Supports camp activities as assigned by supervisor, including any specialty camp activities
- Ensures the physical and emotional health and safety of campers by being safety conscious, following all established YMCA standards and critically evaluating situations for potential risks
- Ensures compliance with established rules and regulations to ensure safety
- Monitors campers and counselors and provides corrective coaching and intervention as necessary
- Set-up facilities and/or equipment for activities and stores equipment appropriately after use and work to keep camp facilities clean at all times
What do you need to be a Summer Day Camp Counselor?
- A commitment to and a passion for working with diverse youth
- Enjoy being outdoors, are creative and not afraid to work and play hard
- Your experience in camping, childcare, education, recreation, sports or related is a plus but not required
- You will be 16 years of age or older by the start of camp
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely present ideas and concepts and tailor communication to multiple audiences
- Passion for working with diverse youth and ability to provide a high-quality of instruction using age-appropriate practices
- Proven ability to establish constructive relationships and interact as a positive role model
- Continuous learner who leverages opportunities for learning and applies new knowledge and skills
- Meets physical qualifications required as outlined in job description
- The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities
Child Abuse Prevention / Support the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training, as required
YMCA Vaccine Policy
We’re committed to the health and wellness of our employees, members, program participants, and those most vulnerable. If hired by the YMCA, you will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination no later than your start date, unless an exemption for a medical condition or sincerely held religious beliefs is granted.