Join our team for the experience of a lifetime!
Youth Development Instructor Opportunity
Earn a $300 signing bonus 30 days after your start date as an active Y employee!
The starting pay for this role is $17.14 per hour
Now hiring for the following YMCA Neighborhood Locations:
Rauner Family YMCA- Pilsen/Little Village
North Lawndale YMCA- Homan Square
As a Youth Development Instructor in our school-aged program, you'll be implementing and adapting a wide variety of enrichment activities for grades K-8. You will work with a specific group of youth on interactive and enriching social and cultural experiences, ensuring the safety and security of program participants; we value child and team safety so you'll be following licensing regulations and adhering to the YMCA philosophy and goals.
Our before and after-school programs create a child-centered environment that promotes learning, character development, healthy living and positive, nurturing relationships. With a commitment to meeting accreditation standards and extensive training and development in research-based practices, you’ll also learn and grow and positively impact our children, families and communities.
In this role, you will:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of youth growth and development and creates high quality program implementation by providing a safe, supportive, interactive, and engaging environment
- Provide positive classroom climate that encourages respect and responsibility and that is characterized by teamwork, camaraderie and inclusiveness
- Prepare lesson plans on a daily and/or weekly basis outlining program activities, ensures materials and supplies are available and ready for daily program activities, and ensures all program areas and supplies are clean and well maintained regularly
- Organize and lead youth in indoor/outdoor activities which meets group and individual needs, interests and considers diverse abilities
- Provide effective supervision of all children that is age-appropriate and assures the safety and well-being of all youth, at all times
- Positively interacts with children, parents/guardians and other team members to create a respectful, warm, supportive environment
- Demonstrate an appreciation of children’s efforts and accomplishments and providing assistance and encouragement to program participants when needed.
- Models self-control, respect and cooperation to children and other team members
- Utilizes youth arrival/departure to share information with parents/guardians and to build relationships
- Follows program schedule and maintains accurate records of attendance, meals and other records as necessary to meet program requirements
- Participate in team meetings and other school-age program activities
- Complete fifteen clock hours of professional development annually, through participation in offered training, in-service or continuing education and maintain log/record of such.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding all center staff, children, and families
- Support the YMCA’s mission and center operations as needed
Our staff is the Y's greatest asset. Our teams provide valuable skills, knowledge, and passion that is essential to the contribution and positive impact in our communities, which is why we offer Y employees numerous perks and benefits, including:
- Comprehensive benefits package for eligible employees
- Opportunity for eligible employees to participate in the Y's retirement fund
- Do meaningful work and contribute to the advancement of the YMCA vision by meeting the needs of the people in our communities
- Complimentary Family YMCA membership and a 25% employee discount on select programs
- Career advancement opportunities - grow your career at the Y!
Minimum and Preferred Requirements:
- Must be 19 years of age and have a minimum of 30 semester hours or equivalent from an accredited college/university with six semester hours or equivalent related to school-aged care, child development, elementary education physical education, recreation, camping or a related field
- Must meet/maintain requirements for fingerprint background check clearance, provide medical clearance documentation and other program pre-employment prerequisites
- Ability to meet physical requirements based on job description; The YMCA will accommodate reasonable accommodations for persons with disability.
- This position is a union position
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members, or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
YMCA Vaccine Policy
We’re committed to the health and wellness of our employees, members, program participants, and those most vulnerable. If hired by the YMCA, you will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination no later than two days before your start date, unless an exemption for a medical condition or sincerely-held religious beliefs is granted.