Join our team for the experience of a lifetime!
Head Start Teacher Aide Opportunity!
Earn a $300 signing bonus 30 days after your start date as an active Y employee!
The starting pay for this role is $17.14 per hour
Now hiring for the following YMCA Neighborhood Locations:
- Dr. Effie O. ELlis YMCA Head Start- East Garfield Park
- Garfield YMCA Children Services- East Garfield Park
- Marshall High School YMCA Child Care Center- East Garfield Park
- McCormick YMCA- Logan Square
- Rauner Family YMCA- Pilsen/Little Village
- South Side YMCA- Woodlawn
The YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago is hiring a part-time Teacher Aide for our Head Start program. The Teacher Aide provides support to the teaching team in planning and implementing learning experiences for children; maintaining the classroom, and managing children in accordance with the YMCA goals and curriculum plan.
We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment, and energy of our teachers and other team members to help us achieve our mission one child, one family, and one team member at a time. Our early learning programs create a child-centered environment that promotes learning, character development, healthy living, and positive, nurturing relationships. With a commitment to meeting accreditation standards and extensive training and development in research-based practices, you’ll also learn and grow and positively impact our children, families, and communities.
Our staff is the Y's greatest asset. Our teams provide valuable skills, knowledge, and passion that is essential to the contribution and positive impact in our communities, which is why we offer Y employees numerous perks and benefits, including:
- Comprehensive benefits package for eligible employees
- Opportunity for eligible employees to participate in the Y's retirement fund
- Do meaningful work and contribute to the advancement of the YMCA vision by meeting the needs of the people in our communities
- Complimentary Family YMCA membership and a 25% employee discount on select programs
- Career advancement opportunities - grow your career at the Y!
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Support plans of an effective child development program to meet the physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs of each child enrolled
- Support children’s safety through constant supervision, effective arrangement of space, proper maintenance of equipment, and regular practice of fire drills and other emergency procedures
- Support and implement routines for diapering, toilet training handwashing, tooth brushing, eating, napping, and transitioning between activities, in a manner that is prompt, hygienic, and consistent with regulations and good child development practices
- Coordinate, implement, and monitor center plans for meeting and retaining children & families, including eligibility, recruitment, enrollment, and daily attendance
- Work as a member of the team to ensure continuity of children’s care, curriculum, and quality in the classroom and center
- Participate in and support center efforts to recruit and enroll new children and families
- Maintain professionalism in attire and demeanor; observe and respect issues of confidentiality, ethics, and best practices of the Early Childhood Profession, and mandatory reporting guidelines of the Abuse and Neglect Child Reporting Act
- Must have a High School Diploma with 12 college credit hours in Early Childhood Education with prior experience working with children
- Must pass DCFS background check and maintain clearance throughout employment
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret documents such as policies and procedures
- Demonstrated understanding of child growth and development
- This position is a union position
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members, or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
YMCA Vaccine Policy
We’re committed to the health and wellness of our employees, members, program participants, and those most vulnerable. If hired by the YMCA, you will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination no later than two days before your start date, unless an exemption for a medical condition or sincerely-held religious beliefs is granted.