Are you looking for a FUN Summer Job where you can make a difference? YMCA Camp Independence is hiring Summer Overnight Camp Management Staff for Summer 2023!
At the Y, we create an exciting, safe camp environment for kids and staff to have an unforgettable summer. While campers are taking part in in unique experiences and adventures, our Summer Overnight Camp Management Staff are developing leadership skills and confidence while making lasting friendships and memories.
YMCA Camp Independence is a special place for children and young adults with spina bifida. The camp program is designed to teach life skills, foster independence, build confidence, teach leadership and increase self-esteem. Located near Fox Lake in northern Illinois, Camp Independence offers one-week residential camp sessions in the summer and weekend retreats during the winter.
The camp is situated on 300 acres, and a 90-acre, semi-private lake called Fish Lake. The Camp Independence building is a state-of-the-art facility with two dormitory-style sleeping rooms, several fully-accessible bathrooms, and a full basement for activities and storm shelter. Meals are served in the beautiful Great Room or in the main lodge. Campers will enjoy three nutritionally balanced, “camper friendly” meals daily and an evening snack. A five-station high ropes course, indoor Olympic size swimming pool, large sport fields, kayaks, basketball courts, campfire ring, and a 48-ft climbing tower are a part of the exciting program and facilities.
Join us for the experience of a lifetime.
YMCA Camp Independence is now hiring Summer Overnight Camp Management Staff for the following positions:
- Assistant Program Director
- Aquatics Director
- Activities Director
As a Summer Overnight Camp Management Staff, you are responsible to:
- Helps plan and implement recreational activities including but not limited to: arts and crafts, fishing, songfests, swimming, nature hikes, archery, boating, adventure activities, and more.
- Works with the Program Director and Management Staff team to create weekly programs to engage campers and provide a variety of experiences for campers of all ages.
- Assist with the over-all functions of the camp daily schedule
- Coaches and mentors camp counselors to support them in creating positive experiences for youth and families.
- Enforces rules and regulations of the facilities to maintain discipline and ensure safety. Monitors campers and counselors and intervenes if campers or counselors are behaving inappropriately or unsafely.
- Supervise camp staff working assigned program areas.
- Have current required certification for assigned program area by the camp’s vendor of choice or equivalent or achieve certification upon hire.
- Sets up facilities and/or equipment for activities and store equipment appropriately after use. Immediately notifies Program Director of any broken or unsafe equipment or if more resources/equipment are needed.
- Works to keep facilities safe, clean and inviting by adhering to YMCA and American Camping Association standards. Promotes the value of keeping camp clean, welcoming and safe with staff.
- Serve as a positive role model for staff and campers set example of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Follow opening and closing procedures for all program areas. Responsible to ensure program areas are locked and secured while not in use.
- Assist in conducting mid-summer and end summer evaluations for counselors.
- Responsible for overall safety checks, cleanliness and upkeep and care assigned program area.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Deal with any staff management issues promptly. Management Staff are expected to not ask staff do to anything that he/she would not do themselves.
- Supports the YMCA’s mission and camp operations as needed.
What do you need to be a Summer Overnight Camp Management Staff?
- A commitment to and a passion for working with diverse youth.
- Enjoy being outdoors, are creative and not afraid to work and play hard.
- Your experience in camping, childcare, education, recreation, sports or related is a plus but not required.
- You will be 21 years of age or older by the start of camp.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely present ideas and concepts and tailor communication to multiple audiences
- Passion for working with diverse youth and ability to provide a high-quality of instruction using age-appropriate practices.
- Proven ability to establish constructive relationships and interact as a positive role model
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to, and a passion for, the mission of the YMCA
- Meets physical qualifications required as outlined in job description
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations in order to assure the safety of all program participants.
- Physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aide effectively.
- Current CPR and First Aide Certification (within the past year)
- Ability to train staff and campers of all age levels in safety regulations and emergency procedures
Summer Overnight Camp Assistant Program Director
Under the direct supervision of the Program Director, the Overnight Camp Assistant Program Director assists in the creation, planning and implementation of recreational activities. The Overnight Camp Assistant Program Director helps oversee activities to ensure that they are safe, engaging and well-organized and provide campers with experiences that provide support and enrichment, teach life skills and promote wellness of spirit, body and mind.
Summer Overnight Camp, Aquatics Director
Under the direct supervision of the Program Director, the Aquatics Director coordinates and supervises the day-to-day operation of the waterfront and/or pool programs in overnight camp. The Aquatics Director maintains high levels of safety standards and enforces strict safety standard rules at aquatic areas. The Aquatics Director must be a certified lifeguard.
Summer Overnight Camp, Activities Director
Under the direct supervision of the Program Director, the High Ropes Director will organize and implement team's course, climbing tower and high rope programs. The High Ropes Director must display ability and skill in belaying, knot tying and rope course set up.
Reasons to work at the Y.
- Be part of a team that cares about one another.
- Make a difference. Contribute to building a better, stronger community for all
- When you work here, you will find opportunities to try new things. Every day is something new.
- YMCA Membership, discounted programs, and much more!
- The job was designed with your schedule in mind. Part-time and full-time positions are available, making jobs at the Y ideal for students and non-students alike!
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required