Assists the Chief Operating Officer and assigned staff by providing high-level administrative support involving the use of discretion and independent judgement. The Executive Assistant must possess a high standard of work ethic, exercise discretion when handling confidential information, pay close attention to detail and have the ability to set priorities and anticipate needs. The Executive Assistant will be expected to become knowledgeable about all facets of Operations.
Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 19 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Manages the COO's schedule as well as schedules for assigned team members.
- Makes all travel arrangements as necessary and prepares expense reports.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of department workflow.
- Screens all incoming telephone calls thoroughly and with diplomacy. Provide preliminary information to internal and external callers as appropriate and direct inquiries and requests as needed.
- Manage correspondence, requests and information needs related to department activities including: tracking mail, handling acknowledgments, responding to requests and assisting staff in coordinating materials for meetings, reports, projects and mailings.
- Direct contract approval process for the Legal Team and maintain a file of all executed contracts.
- Uses discretion and independent judgment in handling confidential and sensitive information
- Maintains highly confidential executive and Board files and correspondence.
- Coordinates arrangements for meetings of various committees, task forces, public officials and groups.
- Maintains computer databases for various reports, committees and mailings.
- Coordinates staff business cards, stationery orders and office supplies for business/administrative offices.
- Gathers data, compiles and prepares all national statistical and assigned strategic plan reports.
- Responsible for processing accounts payable, purchase orders, maintenance of A/P files, ensure A/P items are credited to proper account and reconciliation of A/P monthly reports.
- Supports the mission and vision of the YMCA as assigned.
- Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to the appropriate department.
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience strongly preferred.
- Five years or more years of related experience working as an assistant to executives or administrators, preferably in a not-for-profit setting.
- Ability to work in a high paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities, juggle multiple tasks, organize time effectively, conduct research and identify resources for projects.
- Skilled at coordinating complex meetings and travel arrangements.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to work both in groups and individually to meet goals and to develop strong working relationships with internal staff and external constituents.
- High degree of motivation and self-discipline with a strong work ethic. Maintains a conscientious approach to work with the ability to meet tight deadlines, anticipate needs and be proactive in order to resolve issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including proof reading and editing.
- Demonstrates sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential information. Ability to work with integrity, discretion and a professional approach.
- Ability to focus on detail without losing sight of the bigger picture, including monitoring and double-checking work and information for accuracy and quality.
- Commitment to providing high quality service through responsiveness to all requests and maintaining a professional demeanor at all times.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in the use of business software (Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google) while also quickly learning systems and processes specific to the department.