The Marketing Intern will work closely with the Marketing Director as well as the rest of the MarComm team to create collateral for both print and digital YMCA promotions. The intern will showcase their strong marketing skills and promote their professional development during the term. They will learn to interpret brand standards and mission in visual and written communication, and they will develop their professional workstyle learning to attend meetings, meet deadlines, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and work from concepts and creative.
Responsibilities may include:
- Creating concepts and designs for emails, website, blogs and social media.
- Collaborating with the MarComm team to support campaigns and offer design solutions.
- Applying marketing theory that they’ve learned in their studies, creating actual marketing campaigns using industry software and techniques.
- Assisting with the compilation of fact sheets, reports and the presentation of marketing collateral and design.
- Assisting the MarComm department in digital asset management, including organizing, categorizing and tagging the department’s photographic and digital media.
- Assisting in rollout of membership promotions and initiatives.
- Proofreading for clarity, grammar and spelling.
Requirements for the role are:
- A portfolio that demonstrates a solid grasp of design concepts and communicating visually, along with a resume.
- 1-2 years completed coursework in graphic design, marketing or a similar program.
- Proficiency in office software tools including: Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Publisher and Excel.
Successful candidates will come to the role with:
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- An interest in marketing techniques and analytics.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite including: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat.
- Enthusiasm for email marketing, social media, and graphic design.
- Attentiveness to detail.
- The ability to work independently as well as in partnership with team members.
- Interest in the nonprofit sector.
A graphic design internship at the YMCA of Metro Chicago will:
- Prepare you for an in-house design position in the marketing and communications industry.
- Supplement your portfolio with real-world samples actively on display.
- A flexible work schedule.
- Allow you to be part of a non-profit organization actively making an impact to improve the health and welfare of children, families and communities around Chicago.
Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 20 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow.