The Teen Leadership Coordinator helps coordinate the Counselor-in-Training program.
Ensure the safety of all campers.
Establish a positive relationship with campers and staff in your program area.
Help campers and other staff members grow in Mind, Body and Spirit.
Serve as a role model for campers and other staff members.
Take advantage of teachable moments each day, to help campers learn character values such as Honesty, Caring, Respect, and Responsibility.
Provide a positive, exciting and fun environment for all campers.
Promote and demonstrate stewardship towards the land.
Assist with the cleaning and maintenance of program areas, cabins, the Lodge, and camp grounds.
Assist with general staff training.
Assist with training and evaluating Teen Leadership Specialists.
Develop a positive relationship with each teen in the leadership programs.
Develop and implement a leadership program for teens in the Leaders-in-Training program that covers broad issues of leadership, provides for hands-on learning, and allows for individual growth.
Develop and implement a leadership program for teens in the Counselor-in-Training program that exposes the participants to leadership areas in and around camp, provides for hands-on learning, and allows for individual growth.
Coordinate with the Camp Director, Program Director and Teen Leadership Specialists to implement an in-cabin experience for the participants of the Counselor-in-Training program.
Develop and complete evaluations for the teen participants in both leadership programs.
Coordinate efforts with Counselors to obtain applications and letters of reference for youth in camp interested in the LIT program.
Train, supervise and evaluate program counselors in your area.
Coordinate with teen leadership staff to organize schedules, time off and camper coverage for all teen leadership programs.
Develop a program manual for the Teen Leadership Programs that includes successful lessons and activities, tips for running the program, a program supply inventory, etc.
Coordinate efforts with the Adventure Trips Coordinator, Camp Director & Program Director to organize any off-site Teen Leadership Adventure Trips.
Maintain clean, safe, organized program areas.
Serve as a lifeguard or an aquatic observer during general swim times.
Participate in evening programs and all-camp activities.
Attend staff meetings to discuss program plans, give input and voice concerns.
Serve as the Coordinator of the Day in specific tasks needed for the successful running of programs throughout the assigned day.
- Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must be at least 18 years of age by the first day of camp
- Must have 1 year or more of prior experience working with youth; experience in a camp setting preferred
- Relevant specialty experience for positions supporting specialty camps
- Commitment to, and passion for, the YMCA of Metro Chicago’s mission
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely present ideas and concepts and tailor communication to multiple audiences
- Passion for working with diverse youth and ability to provide a high-quality of instruction using age-appropriate practices. Ability to observe camper behavior and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Proven ability to establish constructive relationships and interact as a positive role model
- Continuous learner who leverages opportunities for learning and applies new knowledge and skills
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Y Team competencies in previous experience or practice
- Meets physical qualifications required as outlined in job description. The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.