Job Summary and Key Accountabilities:
The Inclusion Aide is responsible for supporting and assisting one or more individuals who have a disability and are enrolled in Y programs to promote participation in program activities and independence to the fullest extent possible. The Inclusion Aide ensures that individualized needs of participants are met, serves as professional role model and guides program participants through activities that support a positive learning climate and development of life skills and healthy and safe behaviors. SOME TRAVEL REQUIRED in this role. Typically within a 10-15 mile radius.
Scope of Responsibilities: Program Participant Experience
• Serves as a role model in supporting inclusion and high quality camp programming; Creating an outstanding participant experience for children, parents and
• Modifies learning or recreational activities as may be needed, including activities, rules, equipment, and/or supplies as needed. Promotes participation in program activities and independence to the fullest extent possible. Maintains the confidentiality of information pertaining to the individual(s) assigned for support.
• Teaches socially acceptable behaviors by serving as a role model and by using age-appropriate positive reinforcement and behavior management strategies. Implements individualized behavior management plans, when necessary.
• Communicates consistently with team members and program leaders to keep abreast of activities and schedule, in order to prepare for activity modifications. Will offer suggestions for modifications, if applicable.
• Communicates consistently with parents, classroom/program team and program leadership through completion of a weekly summary of the individual’s participation.
• Supports program activities as assigned by supervisor including substitute support for ongoing camp activities.
Child Abuse Prevention
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
Commitment to Inclusion
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations. Appropriate training and development will be provided to YMCA team members based on your role and responsibilities.
Minimum and Preferred Requirements Knowledge, Skills and Abilities