Responsible for planning, promoting, and coordinating aquatic/ sports programs for youth, teens, and families. Also responsible for recruiting, training, and supervising staff, managing departments, creating new programs, expanding existing programs, as well as, other outreach efforts.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Provides day to day coordination of aquatic/sports programs
- Act as a liaison between Aquatic and Sports Director and Aquatic and Sports staff
- Serve as a contact for all aquatic/ sports staff in the Aquatic/ Sports Director’s absence.
- Assist in scheduling staff to ensure safety and quality program delivery.
- Assists in supervising aquatic staff as well as providing evaluation input.
- Teaches aquatic classes or lifeguards as necessary
- Assists in developing program materials and distributing program information
- Assists in training new staff as well as providing ongoing trainings in accordance with training designs.
- Act as a primary responder in case of injury, accident, or illness and be knowledgeable of emergency procedures.
- Provide backup to lifeguards as needed in emergencies.
- Report injuries and complete required forms.
- Immediately notify a supervisor of any broken equipment or unsafe aspects of the pool.
- Assists in conducting all staff meetings and in-services as scheduled
- Provide communication and training for membership staff regarding class registrations and programs.
- Ensure state and county standards are being adhered to.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Child Abuse Prevention
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations.
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Parks and Recreation or related field with 1 to 2 years aquatics experience with at least 1 year supervisory experience.
- Current YMCA or ARC Lifeguard certification.
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications are required.
- Must possess the ability to relate well with youth, parents, and volunteers.
- Previous fiscal and program development experience
- Must also possess the ability to lead and motivate program staff and work well as a team.
- Proficient in swimming and safety skills.
- Must pass a water skills test and written exam.
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations in order to assure the safety of all swimmers.
- Physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aide effectively.
- Physical mobility to properly use aquatic equipment to rescue a 200lb person.
- Physically able to see, hear, and communicate clearly.
- Able to read, write, and perform basic math to complete daily chemical logs and individual must possess strong organizational, budgetary, computer and communication skills, written and verbal.
- Ability to train swim and fitness instructors.
- Requires trainer-level certification in YMCA Swim Lessons: Fitness Classes, Youth & Adult, Preschool, and Child/Parent.
- Excellent communication skills
You are the “Y”.
We’re more than a pool - the mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through fitness and healthy living, academic readiness, character development and violence prevention. Our 23 membership centers across the city and suburbs, 5 camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs provide everyone with a safe place to swim, learn, play and grow.
For over 135 years, the YMCA has been a pioneer and set the standard for aquatics and quality swim instruction. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our Aquatics ProgramManger to continue this legacy and contribute to the health and wellness of our children, families and communities.