Be a part of our mission.
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our teachers and other team members to help us achieve our mission one child, one family, and one team member at a time.
Our early learning create a child-centered environment that promotes learning, character development, healthy living and positive, nurturing relationships. With a commitment to meeting accreditation standards and extensive training and development in research-based practices, you’ll also learn and grow and positively impact our children, families and communities.
Job Summary and Key Accountabilities:
The Program Manager provides operational leadership to the Youth and Family Drop-in Childcare and assists the Program Director with Day Camp programming and ongoing operations. This role is accountable to ensure that there is high-quality programming to meet the community needs and goals for program enrollment, quality, member experience, and budget. This includes enhancing the member/participant experience and member retention, delivering on program enrollment goals and revenue/budget and ensuring a safe environment for all members, participants and staff. Provides leadership and supervision that drives team engagement, performance and development.
Scope of Responsibilities:
Member and Program Experience
- Increases member/participant connection and commitment to YMCA programs and ensures the member/participant experience is consistent, integrated and aligned to YMCA goals for member experience, engagement and retention.
- Addresses members’ and prospective members’ inquiries. Adapts and creates tools and processes to enhance member experience.
- Monitors program registration goals to understand trends and identify means for development. Adapts and customizes program portfolio to meet community needs.
- Collaborates with peers and leaders in and outside the Y to promote programs in the community through multiple channels. Participates in special events and activities at the center and within the community.
- Coordinates with membership/contact center to ensure all collections, refunds and other transactions are completed accurately and timely.
- Participates in direct service as needed to facilitate program operations.
- Collaborates with other teams within center on membership and programming to ensure a high-quality member experience.
- Identifies, manages and motivates a high-performing team that accomplishes program objectives.
- Establishes, monitors and evaluates team goals and performance standards. Coaches, trains and develops team members to optimize performance and enhance member experience.
- Coaches and mentors staff to support them in delivering safe, engaging and well-organized program services. Completes formal staff evaluations for performance reviews and provides coaching and intervention as necessary.
- Hires, onboards and trains new staff and provides ongoing trainings in accordance with training designs. Facilitates all-staff meetings and in-services. Responsible for ensuring staff are compliant with required trainings and certifications.
- Manages time and attendance for current staff, ensuring that time is accurately recorded in the HRIS system.
- Recruits and trains volunteers, where appropriate, to meet the needs of the programs.
- Manages program budget, including forecasting revenue, managing program margins and expenses, to meet financial targets. Monitors and reports on program financial performance.
- Oversees maintenance of program guides, customer management system and online registration site to market programs to members and the community.
- Follows YMCA standards for supervised departments including Drop-in Childcare and Day Camp.
- Works to keep facilities safe, clean and inviting by adhering to association standards. Promotes the value of keeping the center welcoming and safe with staff.
- Identifies, escalates and rectifies potential risks that could threaten the safety, health or well-being of members, participants or employees.
- Supports the YMCA’s mission and center operations as needed.
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations. Appropriate training and development will be provided to YMCA team members based on your role and responsibilities.
Minimum and Preferred Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent or higher in Elementary Education, Recreation Management, Early Childhood Education or related field
- 1 to 3 years or more experience in youth and family programming providing high-quality experience to program participants, with at least 2 years’ supervisor or team leadership experience.
- Commitment to, and a passion for, the YMCA of Metro Chicago’s mission.
- Demonstrated ability to accomplish goals through others, whether direct reports or through influence.
- Strategic thinking skills including effective planning, setting goals, monitoring progress, tracking results and making appropriate adjustments to plans based on circumstances and context.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple, competing priorities to maximize personal and team effectiveness.
- Budget and expense management experience, with the ability to assist in managing budgets to plan.
- Customer service orientation, with the ability to effectively communicate on a regular basis with internal customers, build relationships, manage customer expectations and take responsibility for a high level of service.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively build and maintain relationships with customers, team members and other stakeholders and constituents.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), email; ability to learn and adapt to new technology.
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Leader competencies in previous experience or practice.
- Meet physical qualifications required as outlined in job description. The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.
- Based on funding requirements, must be willing to register with the Gateways Registry and complete all required online training for designated program area.