Working under the direct supervision of the teachers, assist in the management of groups of children 6 weeks -12 years old.
Scope of Responsibilities:
Assist the teacher and/or group in the implementation of the daily program, which will include activities that are developmentally appropriate.
Assist in planning and preparation of the creative learning environment and preparation of needed material and supplies.
Help with general housekeeping tasks.
Supervise and lead the activity areas.
- Interact with children, treating them with respect and dignity.
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children.
- Report any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Complete all child abuse prevention training as required.
Support the YMCA’s mission and center operations as needed.
Child Abuse Prevention:
- Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations.
- Must have prior experience working with children.
- Ability to build rapport with children, parents and families of diverse backgrounds.
- Commitment to, and a passion for, the YMCA of Metro Chicago’s mission
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA team competencies in previous experience or practice
- Meet physical qualifications required as outlined in job description. The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.
Be a part of our mission.
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our staff and other team members to help us achieve our mission one child, one family, and one team member at a time.
Our early learning create a child-centered environment that promotes learning, character development, healthy living and positive, nurturing relationships. With a commitment to meeting accreditation standards and extensive training and development in research-based practices, you’ll also learn and grow and positively impact our children, families and communities.