Manages the operations of the assigned programs and staff, in areas such as fitness, active older adults, and/or strength training. Ensures that programs operate in a quality manner, consistent with YMCA guidelines and standards.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Directs and manages operations of the health, fitness, and physical education programs.
- Develops, manages and controls assigned department budgets.
- Hires, trains, and supervises staff and volunteers in assigned areas. Facilitates communication and provides leadership.
- Provides leadership and support to the annual fundraising campaign and volunteer committees as assigned. Develops and maintains effective working relationships within the community.
- Develops, produces and disseminates appropriate program and membership information for assigned areas.
- Maintains program areas and equipment in an orderly and safe manner, according to YMCA standards and guidelines.
- Provides data and reports as required for assigned programs.
- Plans and coordinates maintenance and repair of facilities and equipment as required.
- Discusses and promotes all YMCA programs. Motivates members and staff to long term participations.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as required. Maintains current certifications.
- Any additional duties as assigned.
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion:
- Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations. Appropriate training and development will be provided to YMCA team members based on your role and responsibilities.
Be part of our mission.
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 20 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow.
In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Physical Education, Health and Wellness or related field
- 3 to 5 years prior experience in group exercise, personal training and with 3 to 5 years in a supervisory role.
- Specific knowledge and ability in fitness instruction as well as preventative measures in health and fitness.
- Possess the ability to communicate verbally and in writing to individuals and small groups.
- Obtain state approved First Aid and CPR Certifications as well as AED, YMCA Principles of Health and Fitness certification within 6 months of employment, YMCA Fitness Specialist certification or current ACE, AFAA, ACSM, and Health and Fitness Instructor, Personal Trainer within 3 months of employment.