Instructs classes in a specialized program area, such as dance, yoga, any of the martial arts, arts and humanities, etc.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Plans and instructs specialty classes following YMCA standards and guidelines or other Nationally recognized certifications.
- Sets up and takes down class equipment. Reports equipment problems.
- Attends staff meetings and approved trainings as required. Maintains current certifications relative to specialty area.
- Observes and discusses individual progress with participants. Develops rapport with members and responds to related questions.
- Ensures safe and effective classes. Responds to, and reports, accidents and incidents.
- Discusses and promotes all YMCA programs. Motivates participants to commit to long-term participation.
- Plans and implements a program in accordance with the goals and policies of the YMCA. Coordinates activities which are culturally relevant and developmentally appropriate.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergency procedures.
- Support the YMCA’s mission and center operations as needed.
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations. Appropriate training and development will be provided to YMCA team members based on your role and responsibilities.
- Must have a high school or equivalent work/education experience.
- Must have 1 year of experience in related specialty.
- 1+ years experience leading or instructing in specialized area.
- Ability to individually lead a class.
- Ability to motivate and educate members.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations and act accordingly
You are the “Y”.
We're more than a gym—we are a community committed to strengthening bodies, minds and neighborhoods. The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through fitness and healthy living, academic readiness, character development, and violence prevention. Our network of 23 membership centers across the city and suburbs, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow.
Leverage your passion for fitness to be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live.