Provide management oversight and direction of the Associations’ accounting and reporting practices including the maintenance of its fiscal records, information reporting, data systems maintenance and the preparation of its financial reports. Directs internal controls procedures and ensure the integrity of financial and other data related to the performance of the YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago. Supervises and manages the functions of accounts payable, general ledger, accounts receivable, contracts and grants, property accounting, decision support, budgeting, and payroll.
Scopes and Responsibilities:
- Manage areas of the accounting department, ensuring legal and Accounting requirements are met. Provide oversight and training to the general accounting staff regarding accounting procedures, general ledger system maintenance, controls over accounting entries, maintenance of pa
- Establish policies and processes to evaluate the effectiveness of the Accounting of the Association and compliance with the YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago’s policies and ethical business practices.
- Design and implement a documented system of internal controls throughout the Association and ensure adherence to internal controls through the development of review and reporting procedures.
- Manage the decision support team to deliver financial and operational reporting and analysis to support multiple lines of business:
- Lead efforts to review existing financial and operating data and implement steps to ease collection and reporting processes and correct deficiencies and errors within that data.
- Lead efforts to develop and produce reports to enable the end-to-end monitoring and compliance of core operational processes
- Develop and implement new software and technology systems as needed and identified by management.
- Train users on how to obtain and use financial reports, metrics and KPI’s
- Enhance the reporting of financial data through the creation of standard reports and improve the distribution of these reports to managers across the Association.
- Manage the annual independent audit, and the preparation of financial statements and tax returns including the IRS 990 tax form. Maintains records. Participates in Association Audit and Finance Committee meetings.
- Participate in the annual budget process including: issuing guidelines and procedures; training staff, auditing budgets, overseeing data input and preparing reports.
- Assist branch administrative staff in designing and implementing appropriate systems to provide a solid basis for accurately reporting financial data to the Association office.
- Prepare financial projections and modeling related to organizational financing alternatives.
- Prepare or supervises the preparation of outside reports and filings.
- Support the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to the appropriate department.
- Regularly monitoring staff to ensure compliance with policies and procedures related to child safety. Take the appropriate action when policy violations occur.
- Following-up on reports of suspicious behavior or allegations of misconduct, following the Responding to Reports of Inappropriate Behavior and Policy Violations policy.
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required.
- Ensuring that all supervisees complete all required child abuse prevention training on time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with 10 years progressive management experience
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business.
- Requires strong financial and information systems experience and acumen.
- Contract and Grant Accounting experience and working with restricted donations, bequests and trusts a plus.
- Cash management and treasury experience a plus.
- Experience in systems design, implementation, monitoring and managing.
- Experience with financial statement preparation, analysis, forecasting, modeling and budgeting in a multi-location environment.
- Experience working in a cross-functional and highly matrixed organization
- Requires experience with data analysis and reporting.
- Computer savvy: skilled and comfortable with query and reporting tools (Business Objects) and advanced skills with Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel.
- Detail oriented with strong quantitative analytical skills.
- Individual should demonstrate initiative and be able to work independently.
- Superb communication skills (written and verbal), sound judgment and ability to learn quickly while working in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups, maintain confidentiality and think strategically.
- Access to personal mode of transportation; Ability to travel within the YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago geographic region on a frequent basis.