Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 20 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Job Summary and Key Accountabilities
Ice Rink/ Skate School Team Lead is responsible for assisting with rink management, providing high-quality leadership and engaging in direct service to meet the community needs and goals for a quality member experience. This includes providing a high level of customer service at all times and ensuring a safe, welcoming environment that ensures the physical and emotional well-being of members and guests.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with rink management and guard supervisor to ensure all positions are staffed during rink hours.
- Schedule and train staff to work front counter during open skate times.
- Prepare a schedule of staff hours and keep management updated.
- Open/Close as scheduled maintaining rink and lobby security.
- Maintain ice surface by driving the Zamboni and using edger.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations. Appropriate training and development will be provided to YMCA team members based on your role and responsibilities.
- Previous experience in working in an ice rink, including ability to drive a Zamboni and use ice edger
- Team leadership, experience coaching or directing team members is preferred.
- Commitment to, and a passion for, the YMCA of Metro Chicago’s mission
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely present ideas and concepts and tailor communication to multiple audiences
- Proven ability to establish constructive relationships and interact as a positive role model
- Customer service orientation, with the ability to effectively communicate on a regular basis with internal/external customers, build relationships, manage customer expectations and take responsibility for a high level of service.
- Must be physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aid effectively.
- Evidence of YMCA Team competencies in prior experience or practice
- Ability to meet physical requirements based on job description; The YMCA will accommodate reasonable accommodations for persons with disability.