You are the “Y”
Do you have a passion for customers? Do you enjoy interacting with all kinds of people including adults and children? Do you enjoy fitness, recreation, sports, youth development and serving your community? If so, put your sales and customer service skills to work at the YMCA of Metro Chicago. You’re not just impacting a bottom line – you’re impacting people and communities every day.
Our mission is to develop strong children, families and communities through fitness and healthy living, academic readiness, character development, and violence prevention. Our network of 20 membership centers in the city and suburbs, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs provide everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow.
The Member Experience Supervisor is accountable for enhancing the member experience in order to drive relationships with and between members and increase membership acquisition, engagement and retention. They will be an advocate, key leader and set standards for exceptional membership service.
Scopes and Responsibilities:
- Supports revenue generation and achievement of membership acquisition and retention goals, This includes:
- Works with Member Experience Director (MED) to identify, document and follow-up with prospects and convert prospects to members.
- Gives prospect tours, and provides other sales and marketing support as needed including web and/or social media communications and engagement.
- Conducts new and returning member orientation and assists in ensuring a seamless transition for members based on member-specific needs and interests.
Membership Engagement and Retention
- Facilitates member connection and commitment to YMCA programs and services and collaborates with MED to ensures that member experience is consistent, integrated and aligned to YMCA goals for member experience and engagement This includes:
- Works with Member Experience Director and Executive Director to implement member retention and outreach strategies to increase member satisfaction and retention rates.
- Provides a visible presence in the center and actively interacts with prospects and members to ensure member and prospect needs are met
- Increases member engagement and program participation by introducing members to other members, and using member profiles and interactions to tailor suggestions for new programs, services, or activities.
- Facilitates with fitness and program operations teams to identify and tailor program/services to member needs and interests.
- Proactively identifies and resolves member issues and concerns
Front Desk Operations
- Accountable for direct supervision of front-desk operations to ensure membership engagement, acquisition, retention, and continuous improvement. This includes:
- Ensures that the front desk is staffed appropriately and meeting standards for member service and engagement.
- Ensures team is informed about center, program and other related information critical to member service and engagement.
- Conducts daily staff huddles and other team activities that drive execution of sales and membership goals.
- Ensures team adherence to all YMCA policies and procedures regarding the safety, health and welfare of members, program participants, guests and staff
- Manages daily business and administrative functions as it pertains to membership, including but not limited to membership reporting, collection, sales, and cash handling in adherence to YMCA policies and procedures. This also includes:
- Collaborating with Regional Business Office and others to ensure seamless processing of member transactions and administration
- Generating membership, sales and revenue reports as needed
- Ensuring member accounts and other administrative tasks are up-to-date and accurate.
- Hires, develops, motivates and retains a committed team passionate about the YMCA’s mission and service to members.
- Completes all job related, supervisory and other trainings as required.
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations. Appropriate training and development will be provided to YMCA team members based on your role and responsibilities.
- Associate’s Degree in business administration, marketing, fitness or related field or equivalent experience
- 2 or more years of face-to-face member relations or customer service experience in a high-traffic, consumer-driven environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with members/customers
- Proven, successful inside sales experience with new or existing members/customers
- Supervisory or team leadership experience with the demonstrated ability to engage, develop and motivate team members.
- Familiarity with community engagement and use of social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Demonstrated critical thinking, problem-solving and issue resolution skills with the ability to proactively identify and resolve customer/member issues
- Ability to understand, adapt to and interact with diverse people, teams, perspectives and cultures
- Proficient in using email, Internet, and other PC-based applications (e.g. Microsoft Office, customer service/tracking applications) with the ability to learn and adapt to new technology.
Core Functional and Management Competencies:
- Consultative selling skills and ability to close: Uses provided prospect information and/or utilizes strong active listening to understand prospects’ needs; uses knowledge of the prospect and the best fit of the Y’s programs and services to close the sale, and sustain member engagement.
- Member focus: Dedicated to meeting the expectations of members; drives resolution of member issues.
- Adaptability: Effectively handles change and ambiguity; can multi-task, handle multiple objectives.
- Action oriented: Full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; seizes more opportunity than others; likes getting things accomplished.
- Motivating others: Can motivate many kinds of direct reports and cross-functional team members; creates a climate in which people want to do their best; empowers others to operate within established standards; invites input and shares ownership and visibility.
- Informing: Provides the information people need to know to do their jobs and to feel good about being a member of the team; provides individuals information so that they can make accurate decisions; is timely with information.
Core Leadership Competencies:
- Values - Puts in place best practices that reflect the values of the organization. Creates an environment that reinforces trust, mutual respect, and a service orientation. Models the Y’s values when dealing with individuals and organizations in the community.
- Inclusion - Promotes to others the value of diversity and the importance of being an inclusive organization. Ensures equal and fair treatment for all.
- Relationships – Collaborate with and build relationships that enhance the Y’s ability to impact the community. Effectively represents department/branch/division interests while building positive, constructive relationships with others.
- Communications - Uses superior verbal and written skills to generate support for the Y’s goals. Shares ideas and presents information informally in ways that positively impact others. Communicates the Y’s brand to establish the organization’s credibility within the community.
- Decision Making - Integrates multiple thinking processes and strategies to function effectively. Anticipate where challenges and obstacles are, and create plan and strategies accordingly.
- Change Capacity - Manages implementation of change by understanding and addressing the impact of change on cultures, systems, and people.