Job Summary and Key Accountabilities:
The Building Engineer is responsible for providing routine/emergency engineering, maintenance, and repair services at assigned location to ensure a positive member/participant experience. Interfaces with customers and staff at location to meet facility needs and requirements and provide a high level of customer service within service level agreements. Provides day-to-day assignments and team leader support for facilities technicians and reports on building maintenance activities and work progress. Responsible for routine assessments of building systems and equipment, analyzes data to ensure proper functioning and adheres to preventative maintenance plans. Provides hands-on engineering support for routine, preventative, and emergency maintenance services as needed such as carpentry, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, landscape services and other building systems to optimize service quality and maintenance costs while adhering to building codes, maintenance standards and processes.
Be part of our mission.
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 20 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Scope of Responsibilities:
Facility Plans and Maintenance Engineering/Repair Services
- Ensures assigned location(s) is executing on facilities and maintenance plans and following related standards, building codes, policies and processes in support of internal quality standards and controls. This includes:
- Ensure all mechanical, plumbing, electrical, fitness and pool equipment, if applicable, are maintained in good working order and adhering to a preventive maintenance program.
- Surveys and tracks all mechanical, plumbing, electrical, fitness and pool equipment if applicable, to enhance service quality and ensures compliance with preventive maintenance plans.
- Monitors and evaluates utility services including electricity, natural gas, water, storm drainage, and septic systems.
- Monitors fire and life safety systems, stand-by generators, UPS systems, elevator and emergency exit plans
- Ensures compliance with OSHA safety standards throughout assigned locations
- Maintains appropriate records and documentation, as needed for specific location
- Responds to and completes work orders in a timely manner including reporting on work progress and completion. Provides daily assignments to facility technicians, and works with vendors and others as appropriate to complete work orders and documents results. Utilizes maintenance management system to enter, track, analyze and report on work orders and activities.
- Maintains tools and orders supplies as required for installation and repairs. Complies with company policy for the safe storage, usage and disposal of hazardous materials. Maintains a clean and safe workspace at all times.
- Assists with capital project plans including assisting on renovations and modifications to the facilities related to electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and other skilled trades, as needed. Assists project manager, where required.
- Evaluates, troubleshoots, repairs and provides guidance on building and equipment issues as needed.
- Keeps abreast of related regulations, equipment, building and safety standards, reporting requirements and systems/equipment; continuously builds skills in order to proactively address facilities and maintenance issues.
Department and Customer Service Management
- Provides a high level of internal customer service to assigned location including responding to internal customer needs and providing updates to location leadership on ongoing maintenance, work orders and building operations. Consults with leadership at assigned locations and/or other constituents as needed in order to understand customer needs and respond to requests.
- Informs and assists in managing department budgets and tracks expenses in conjunction with supervisor, Integrated Business Systems, Finance/Business Office at assigned locations within YMCA guidelines.
- Acts as a team leader, providing assignments and coaching to facility technicians to achieve service levels
- Assists with scheduling and correcting time and attendance as needed.
- Support team goals and performance standards. Coaches, trains and develops team members to optimize performance and service quality.
- Provides appropriate information and expertise to team members to complete work orders and activities in a high-quality and timely manner.
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Minimum and Preferred Requirements:
- Facilities engineering experience typically held by those with 5 or more years of related experience or an equivalent combination of related education and experience; team leadership experience coaching or directing team members is preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in all phases of physical plant operations including building systems, equipment maintenance and repair, scheduling, and administration
- Technical, hands-on expertise in HVAC, electrical and/or plumbing systems including diagnosis, troubleshooting and repairs
- Knowledge of OSHA and related safety practices as well as state and local safety, fire, construction, and public access regulations.
- Ability to keep detailed, accurate and complete records and documentation as needed.
- Budget and expense management experience, with the ability to assist in managing budgets to plan
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), email, Facility Dude or related software; ability to learn and adapt to new technology
- Experience motivating and supporting a diverse, high-performing team including developing and coaching team members.
- Customer service orientation, with the ability to effectively communicate on a regular basis with internal customers, build relationships, manage customer expectations and take responsibility for a high level of service.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely present ideas and concepts and tailor communication to multiple, non-technical audiences including team, customers, and other constituents.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to effective build and maintain relationships with customers, team members and other stakeholders and constituents.
- Critical thinking skills and track record of continuous improvement including identifying and effectively addressing service needs and gaps.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple, competing priorities to maximize personal and team effectiveness.
- Continuous learner who leverages opportunities for learning and applies new knowledge and skills.
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Leader competencies in previous experience or practice.
- Meet physical qualifications required as outlined in job description including visual acuity.
- Ability to travel locally in Chicagoland (city and suburbs) with a valid Driver’s License