Under general direction of the VP, Real Estate and Facilities, this role is accountable for the overall stewardship, maintenance, engineering, and capital construction of the Association’s facilities and grounds in multiple locations throughout Chicagoland, Wisconsin and Michigan. Provides leadership to the Maintenance department team as well as vendors and partners to ensure a high level of service delivery to branch locations. Recommends projects necessary to maintain and improve building maintenance and oversees selection and management of appropriate contractors and vendors.
Directly responsible for strategic planning, financial analysis/administration, maintenance scheduling, vendor management and design/construction supervision for both capital projects and ongoing maintenance and janitorial operations. This includes capital project design/development, architectural management, construction coordination, and project management. pment, architectural management, construction coordination, and project management.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Creates and implements facilities maintenance standards and processes and ensure all functions are in compliance with policies and procedures and in support of strong internal controls.
- Conducts ongoing site surveys, statistics, cost analysis, and needs assessments to assist the association in decision making for future building needs.
- Monitors and evaluates utility services including electricity, natural gas, water, storm drainage, and septic systems.
- Supervises facility management, computerized maintenance management systems, security system management and energy management programs.
- Monitors fire and life safety systems, stand-by generators, UPS systems, and emergency exit plans.
- Within Association guidelines and in conjunction with Procurement department, directs the purchase of equipment, materials, parts, contract services and professional services required for maintenance operations.
- Collaborates with location leadership and other key stakeholders on needs assessments, projects and ongoing operations to ensure that facilities and maintenance plan is aligned with operating plans. Prepares executive presentations and materials.
- Participates in the annual budgeting process and assists in financial and operational analysis of business units, performance matrix and capacity utilization. Prepares and manages department budgets, cost estimates and related financial analysis.
Construction and Capital Projects
- In conjunction with relevant stakeholders, plans and coordinates renovations and modifications to the facilities related to electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and other skilled trades
- Provides support in the planning of renovations to continuously improve our physical plant and environment for members participants and residents.
- Manage and track all aspects/details of the design, schedule, budget and construction to ensure projects are completed on-time and within budget.
- Develops RFPs, and identifies and manages design and consulting engineering contractor vendors to ensure project delivery and monitor costs.
- Manage architectural design development in collaboration with stakeholders. Prepares, coordinates and reviews construction documents and conducts related reviews. Assists in preparation of schematic design and design development
- Reviews engineering performance on the project to ensure quality, conformance with conceptual design and completeness of engineering tasks.
- Leads the rezoning, site plan approval and building permit process and identifies and ensures compliance with regulatory, licensing and state requirements.
- Creates and updates detailed schedules from design development through construction completion to assist with communication of project turnover. Act as owners' representative at construction management meetings.
- Complies with Association safety awareness programs, office and/or field safety policies.
- Produces project status reports and communicates deliverables to all stakeholders and senior management.
Team and Vendor Management
- Leads, manages and motivates team to achieve high levels of customer service and quality including managing hiring, onboarding, performance management and development.
- Demonstrates and role models Y values and integrity and conforms to Association policies and standards.
- Collaborates internally and initiates and leads training and professional development necessary to ensure staff have skills and competencies to succeed.
- Develops Service Level Agreements (SLAs) between Facilities Maintenance and center locations.
- Establishes vendor performance metrics and monitors vendor performance to ensure a high level of service delivery.
- Supports the YMCA’s mission and vision as assigned.
Child Abuse Prevention
- Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
- A Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management, or related field or equivalent experience. Advanced degree a plus.
- Ten or more years of related experience including 5-7 years of leadership and supervisory experience supporting multiple locations.
- Knowledge of all phases of physical plant operations and administration including construction and capital project planning and design and project management.
- Strong vendor management skills with the ability to establish vendor performance metrics and effectively manage vendors and contracts to ensure delivery.
- Technical knowledge and skills in working with HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems.
- Knowledge and experience with state and local safety, fire, construction, and public access regulations.
- Understanding of blueprints and building codes; experience developing cost estimates and budgets is a must.
- Demonstrated stakeholder engagement and management skills with the ability to collaborate with a diverse set of internal and external partners, vendors and stakeholders on projects and ongoing operational service delivery.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt communication to audience
- Strong experience preparing and managing departmental/project budgets and financials.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to effectively manage multiple, competing priorities
- Passion for and commitment to the YMCA’s mission
- Intermediate PC skills with AutoCAD experience strongly desired
Be part of our mission.
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 23 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.