Be a part of our mission.
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our staff and other team members to help us achieve our mission one child, one family, and one team member at a time.
Our early learning create a child-centered environment that promotes learning, character development, healthy living and positive, nurturing relationships. With a commitment to meeting accreditation standards and extensive training and development in research-based practices, you’ll also learn and grow and positively impact our children, families and communities.
Under the supervision of the Site Director or Cook, assist in the general operation of the food service program in the preparation and serving of meals.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Clean and sanitize work areas, equipment, utensils and dishes.
- Cleans refrigerator and cabinets weekly.
- Sweeps and mops storage areas daily.
- Defrosts and cleans freezers before each incoming order or when necessary
- Stores food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
- Organizes storage area, labels incoming items (use first in, first out method).
- Assists with meal preparation as assigned. Prepares snacks for the children.
- Attends all in service staff training given by nutrition component of the DHS.
- Assists with the enforcement of food service rules.
- Assists with inventory of food, equipment, and supplies.
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
High school diploma or equivalent work/education experience.
Must have knowledge and experience of quantity food preparation.
Must have ability to follow oral and written instructions.