Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 20 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow.
The Department of Learning and Evaluation is responsible for driving cross-functional learning, evaluation and innovation throughout the YMCA of Metro Chicago. The Department’s leading goal is to cement the Y as the region’s leading nonprofit provider of effective early childhood, youth and family enrichment programs and services. The Learning and Evaluation team members work closely with other departments to develop a portfolio of high quality, evidence-based and measurable programs that are uniform and consistent across membership, camps and human services. The team is also responsible for identifying training expertise and modules at all levels within the Y in order to create a shared culture, understanding and common language for effective program services.
The Evaluation intern will work closely with the Learning and Evaluation team to collect and analyze data related to programs throughout the organization. They will learn to collaborate with diverse groups and develop their analytical and professional skills.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Conduct literature reviews and data searches and analyze data
- Support the design and development of data collection tools
- Assist with the collection and management of data from multiple sources such as surveys, observations, interviews, focus groups, documentation review, administrative datasets, external datasets, portfolio assessments, and community asset mapping
- Collaborate with evaluation stakeholders to ensure data collection is relevant and responsible
- Contribute to reports and presentations for internal and external audiences
Child Abuse Prevention
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
- Currently enrolled in a college/university, pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in social sciences, economics, statistics, math or other related field or equivalent experience
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Proficiency in office software tools including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- The ability to work independently as well as in partnership with team members
- Organized and posses the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Enthusiasm for the mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago and the communities we serve
*This is an unpaid internship.