Be a part of our mission.
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our teachers and other team members to help us achieve our mission one child, one family, and one team member at a time.
Our early learning programs create a child-centered environment that promotes learning, character development, healthy living and positive, nurturing relationships. With a commitment to meeting accreditation standards and extensive training and development in research-based practices, you’ll also learn and grow and positively impact our children, families and communities.
Job Summary and Key Accountabilities:
Under the direction of the Site Director, the Food Aide is responsible for the operation of the food service program at the site. The Food Aide implements the cycle menu, prepares food and distributes to classrooms, completes Child and Adult Care Food Program paperwork and supports center staff with nutrition activities in the classrooms.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Implements the cycle menu in accordance with policies, procedures, and established practices; Includes adherence Head Start Performance Standards, and the guidelines established by the Child and Adult Care Food Program.
- Prepares food needed for meals and snacks served on site and for field trips for center-based programs and home-based socializations.
- Meets the “time of day meal service” guidelines required by the Child and Adult Care Food Program.
- Joins the children and other staff at the table during mealtimes whenever possible.
- Cleans and maintains kitchen, food service utensils, equipment, and food storage areas to standards mandated by the Chicago Health Department and best practices with regards to food safety and sanitation.
- Assists with purchases and provides set up of foods for nutrition curriculum and children’s cooking projects in the classroom.
- Maintains all required Child and Adult Care Food Program paperwork. Paperwork includes menu production records, monthly adjustment sheets, food transport records, inventories, cycle menus, attendance sheets and food purchase receipts. Compiles monthly reports accurately. Turns in all monthly Child and Adult Care Food Program documentation on time.
- Posts and maintains all required Child and Adult Care Food public notices.
- Refers child nutrition concerns to the Site Director.
- Participates in team meetings, nutrition-related activities, required in-services, and all Food Aide events and trainings.
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations. Appropriate training and development will be provided to YMCA team members based on your role and responsibilities.
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) or higher
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the preparation of large quantities of food for institutions and related safety practices
- Commitment to, and a passion for, the YMCA of Metro Chicago’s mission
- Ability to relate well to parents, children and other staff members.
- Organizational skills, time management skills, and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to keep detailed, accurate and complete reports and records and documentation.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Y Team competencies in previous experience or practice.
- Meet physical qualifications required as outlined in job description. The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.