Now Hiring! Apply today!
You are the “Y”.
Together, we can achieve the YMCA’s mission of youth development, healthy living and social responsibility in our communities.
We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our Safe ’n Sound team members to help us achieve our mission one child, one family, one school and one team member at a time. Our before- and after-school programs, based in Naperville and Aurora, are guided daily by the core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility to create a child-centered environment that promotes learning, character development, healthy living and positive, nurturing relationships.
Whether you are pursuing a career in elementary or early-childhood education, child development, physical education or recreation, you’ll have hands-on experiences with one of the most respected programs in the western suburbs providing school-aged child care, day camp and academic enrichment.
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Program Operations, this Program Director will help launch and maintain YSVP’s Urban Warriors program in selected communities. This position is tied to YSVP’s broader effort to provide trauma informed mentoring to youth who have experienced interpersonal and community violence. The position will be responsible for day-to-day program operations of Urban Warriors. This includes, but is not limited to, veteran recruitment and participation, connecting with youth, ensuring proper program implementation and providing training and supports to veterans and YSVP program staff.
Scope of Responsibilities:
Oversees program operations and provides YSVP staff with Urban Warriors guidance and operational assistance
Collaborates with YSVP leadership and supervises Urban Warriors Program Coordinators
Oversees veteran outreach, engagement, and support
Program Development and Implementation:
Works with Executive Director and Director of Program Operations to communicate program objectives and metrics, and to make consistent and progressive steps toward organizational and programmatic consistency and sustainability
Coordinates Urban Warriors program expansion and refinement strategies. Coordinates with Program Coordinators and Site based teams to facilitate the implementation of Urban Warriors alumni events
Serves as a general advocate for youth veterans as it pertains to mental health and legal system and such subsidiaries, with a proven ability to create safe spaces and conversations for youth and other diverse stakeholders
Implements strategies to maximize the synergies between Urban Warriors and other YSVP program areas
In collaboration with the YSVP Business Accountant, Director of Program Operations and Executive Director, monitors the budget and makes purchases in alignment with approved budget for programming
Evaluation and Assessment:
- Works with Learning and Evaluation as well as YSVP staff to track Urban Warriors evaluation surveys and strengthen documentation
- Supports program quality improvement through continuous assessment and planning with dat
Grant Exploration and Writing:
- Identifies additional funding sources that will supplement and enhance existing Urban Warriors and Urban Warriors Alumni funding streams
- Assists with all Urban Warriors related grant writing efforts undertaken by the YSVP team in conjunction with Mission Advancement
Human Resources and Training:
- Identifies necessary core knowledge and competencies for staff and collaborate with Director of Program Operations and Executive Director to identify or develop necessary trainings
- Hires, trains and evaluates direct reports, including establishing goals and objectives for the year
- Assists with Human Resource issues relating to employee relations, corrective action, quality improvement plans, and annual performance appraisals
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required
Graduate degree in social services, juvenile justice or a related field preferred
At least three years of professional experience
Demonstrated understanding of current issues related to youth safety and violence prevention and juvenile justice
Proven ability to establish constructive relationships and interact as a positive role model
Demonstrated success in developing and operationalizing innovative programs
Proficient in using technology as management reporting tool and experience in working with information technology staff to develop and implement program reporting and evaluation systems
Strong project management skills. Demonstrated ability to manage complex, multi-faceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
Experience working with a collaborative, constructive peer group
Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to and a passion for the YMCA of Metro Chicago’s mission