Job Summary and Key Accountabilities:
The Maintenance Technician is responsible for assisting the Building Engineer at assigned locations to provide routine/emergency maintenance and repair services to ensure a positive member/participant experience within service level agreements. Responsible for assisting with routine assessments of internal/external facility areas, building systems and equipment and execution of preventative maintenance plans . Provides maintenance support for routine, preventative, and emergency maintenance services as needed such as carpentry, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, landscape services and other building systems while adhering to building codes, maintenance standards and processes.
Be part of our mission.
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 21 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Scope of Responsibilities:
Facility Plans and Maintenance Engineering/Repair Services
- Completes assigned preventative and emergency maintenance tasks and activities
- Complies with related maintenance standards, building codes, policies and processes in support of internal quality standards and controls.
- Performs daily inspections and facilities audits to ensure facilities, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, fitness and pool equipment, if applicable, are clean and in good working order
- Assist in the monitoring of fire and life safety systems, stand-by generators, UPS systems, and emergency exit plans.
- Documents work performed as needed and maintains appropriate records and documentation
- Continuous learning to understand and apply knowledge of specific equipment, and the methods required to use/maintain them properly. This includes building automation systems, fire / life safety systems, and any other building related equipment.
- Responds to and completes work orders in a timely manner including reporting on work progress and completion. Utilizes maintenance management system to enter, track, analyze and report on work orders and activities.
- Complies with company policy for the safe storage, usage and disposal of hazardous materials. Maintains a clean and safe workspace at all times.
- Assists with capital project plans including assisting on renovations and modifications to the facilities related to electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and other skilled trades, as needed. Assists project manager, where required.
- Evaluates, troubleshoots, repairs and provides guidance on building and equipment issues as needed.
- Keeps abreast of related regulations, equipment, building and safety standards, reporting requirements and systems/equipment; continuously builds skills in order to proactively address facilities and maintenance issues.
- Complies with all safety policies, processes and procedures with regards to the operations, repairs and maintenance of systems, equipment, tools, vehicles and work areas.
- Performs safety inspections to recognize and document safety hazards including proposing risk mitigation plans and adjustments to maintenance plans and practices.
- Understands and adheres to all related federal, state, county and local laws, regulations, building codes and ordinances in work performed to ensure compliance.
- Complies with at monitors OSHA safety standards throughout assigned locations
- Completes safety and other job-related training as required.
Department and Customer Service Management
- Provides a high level of internal customer service to assigned location including responding to internal customer needs and providing updates to Building Engineer, maintenance team and location leadership on ongoing maintenance, work orders and building operations.
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations. Appropriate training and development will be provided to YMCA team members based on your role and responsibilities.
Minimum and Preferred Requirements:
- Facilities engineering experience typically held by those with 1 or more years of related experience or an equivalent combination of related education and experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in all phases of physical plant operations including building systems, equipment maintenance and repair, scheduling, and administration
- Technical, hands-on expertise in HVAC, electrical and/or plumbing systems including diagnosis, troubleshooting and repairs
- Knowledge of OSHA and related safety practices as well as state and local safety, fire, construction, and public access regulations.
- Ability to keep detailed, accurate and complete records and documentation as needed.
- Budget and expense management experience, with the ability to assist in managing budgets to plan
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), email, Facility Dude or related software; ability to learn and adapt to new technology
- Experience motivating and supporting a diverse, high-performing team including developing and coaching team members.
- Customer service orientation, with the ability to effectively communicate on a regular basis with internal customers, build relationships, manage customer expectations and take responsibility for a high level of service.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to effective build and maintain relationships with customers, team members and other stakeholders and constituents.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple, competing priorities to maximize personal and team effectiveness.
- Continuous learner who leverages opportunities for learning and applies new knowledge and skills.
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Leader competencies in previous experience or practice.
- Meet physical qualifications required as outlined in job description including visual acuity.
- Ability to travel locally in the Chicagoland (city and suburbs) with a valid Driver’s License