Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 23 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
The Inclusion Specialist supports and assists the Manager of Inclusion and YMCA staff in the assessment of individuals requesting inclusion in summer day camp and other programming. This position will work directly with youth, families and staff to develop and coordinate accommodations and support for individuals with disabilities to create an overall positive day camp experience for staff and campers. .
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Assist Manager of Inclusion in completion of assessments for individuals with disabilities who are requesting inclusion support and program modifications.
- Assist Manager of Inclusion in development and evaluation of Inclusion Plans for individuals with disabilities. Plans may identify programmatic modifications, behavioral or medial supports.
- Assist YMCA branch staff in problem-solving issues related to inclusion.
- Introduce and assist YMCA branch staff with Inclusion Plans.
- Attend weekly meetings with the Manager of Inclusion.
Child Abuse Prevention:
- Supports the commitment of the YMCA to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Minimum and Preferred Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Special Education, Therapeutic Recreation, Psychology, Social Work or a related field
- At least 2 years of experience working with individuals with disabilities, preferably in an inclusive setting
- Commitment to, and a passion for, the YMCA of Metro Chicago’s mission
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely present ideas and concepts and tailor communication to multiple, non-technical audiences including team, customers, and other constituents.
- Continuous learner who leverages opportunities for learning and applies new knowledge and skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple, competing priorities to maximize personal and team effectiveness.
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Y Team competencies in previous experience or practice.
- Meets physical qualifications required as outlined in job description. The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.
- Ability to travel locally using own vehicle throughout the Chicagoland area (city and suburbs) with current, valid drivers license.