Under the direct supervision of the Camp Director/Program Director, the Resident Camp Jr. Counselor is responsible to assist the counselor with the well being of 10-14 youth 24 hours a day for the duration of the camp session.
Scope and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for assisting the Summer Resident Camp Counselor with ALL campers.
- Ensure safety for ALL campers at ALL times including:
- Physical and emotional health
- Never leaving a camper unsupervised.
- Putting campers first
- Being aware and able to determine if something is unsafe, e.i...pillow fights, sliding down banister, towel whipping, etc..
- Assist the Summer Resident Camp Counselor to supervise campers at all times, so that a camper is never unsupervised. Jr. Counselor’s cannot supervise campers on their own without a lead counselor (18+ years old)
- Providing certain campers with problems extra individual attention, but not to neglect the campers without problems.
- Teach skill periods depending on their interest and abilities.
- Provide public relations/customer service to parents/guardians to ensure a positive impression of our camps.
- Provide and prepare stories, skits, stunts, games, devotions, etc prior to the start of camp for cabin time, rainy days, or extended periods of time.
- Be available and flexible to provide support and fill in at any area of the camp at all times
- Prohibiting intimate displays of affection toward any camper. This including and not limited to: hand holding, writing letters or emails to campers, asking for phone numbers of campers, text messaging campers or sharing phone number with campers. It is prohibited to participate in any camper/counselor romances.
- Serve as a lifeguard or look out at the waterfront and at the pool.
- Lead cabin devotions or huddle ups each night before bed.
- Assist Summer Resident Camp Counselor with tracking camper's hygiene. Campers are to take a soapy shower every day. Campers are never to go home on check-out day dirty or unclean.
- Share and lead songs with other counselors during campfires and before meals. Each counselor has at least two songs ready to share at campfires.
- Assist Summer Resident Camp Counselor with checking campers bedding to ensure cleanliness. If bedding is soiled, bag up bedding and make bed with fresh bedding from the health officer.
- Supervise the store line and store area, making sure there are only two campers in the store at one time.
- Be mindful of keeping the camp clean by picking up litter
- Responsible for the safety and upkeep of all program equipment. If you use it - put it back, if it is broken - report it to the camp director, if you run out - report it to the camp director, if it is unsafe - don't use it and report it to the camp director.
- Responsible for camper discipline and taking campers whose behavior is beyond the counselor to the assistant program director.
- Responsible to make sure your campers needing night time medication report to the health center after the evening snack time.
- Responsible to maintain a positive attitude and refrain from behavior that is detrimental to the staff team and staff morale.
- Maintain a clean and orderly cabin, setting examples for campers
- Responsible for reporting any of your own health concerns- ill/exhausted to your supervisor.
- Supports the commitment of the YMCA to child abuse prevention by:
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children.
- Report any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Complete all child abuse prevention training as required.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Minimum age of 16 yrs old.
- Strong interest, maturity and judgment in working with children in an outdoor setting.
- Knowledge and experience in camp related activities preferred.
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications (within the past year)
Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 23 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.