Be a part of our mission.
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our instructors and other team members to help us achieve our mission one child, one family, and one team member at a time.
Our before and after-school programs create a child-centered environment that promotes learning, character development, healthy living and positive, nurturing relationships. With a commitment to meeting accreditation standards and extensive training and development in research-based practices, you’ll also learn and grow and positively impact our children, families and communities.
This position is focused on providing education and services related to cooking and nutrition to teens. The primary function is to support the Logan Square Foodies programming including culinary education and nutrition activities. Responsibilities include instructing culinary program and assisting with planning, executing and evaluating program.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Instructs nutrition-based culinary program for teens.
- Assists with planning, executing, and evaluating teen culinary programs
- Assists with coordinating cooking demonstrations for teens.
- Assists in developing strategic relationships and partnerships within the community
- Helps organize and set up supplies, materials and/or other resources to ensure program activities run smoothly, including developing and/or distributing program materials and information as needed
- Assists in supporting program area according to YMCA standards and ensures compliance with program requirements. Ensures accidents and incidents are reported to supervisor.
- Sets up and manages paper or electronic filing systems, recording information, updating paperwork, or maintaining documents such as program records or other correspondence
- Ensures a positive program environment, including the cleanliness and safety of facilities and equipment, as required by program area
- Provides customer service to current and/or prospective program participants as needed.
- Assists with planning and operating programs, special events and activities
- Support the YMCA’s mission and center operations as needed
Child Abuse Prevention
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Minimum and Preferred Requirements
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- H.S. Diploma or equivalent is required. A.A. or A.S. in program-related concentration or higher strongly preferred.
- Passion and commitment to the YMCA’s mission and vision
- Customer orientation with the ability to effectively communicate with and meet/exceed the expectations of members and program participants on a regular basis
- Strong collaboration skills with the ability to coordinate with multiple team members to accomplish program goals and activities
- Demonstrated verbal, written and presentation skills with the ability to adapt communication as needed for diverse audiences
- Basic to intermediate PC proficiency with the ability to use YMCA software and technology, as required to support program area
- Ability to demonstrate YMCA core competencies at the Y Team Leader Level