You are the “Y”
Do you have a passion for customers? Do you enjoy interacting with all kinds of people including adults and children? Do you enjoy fitness, recreation, sports, youth development and serving your community? If so, put your sales and customer service skills to work at the YMCA of Metro Chicago. You’re not just impacting a bottom line – you’re impacting people and communities every day.
Our mission is to develop strong children, families and communities through fitness and healthy living, academic readiness, character development, and violence prevention. Our network of 23 membership centers in the city and suburbs, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs provide everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow.
The Member Experience Manager leads membership initiatives and staff management and development and has accountability for member acquisition, member engagement and retention, front desk operations management and staff leadership. This role will lead center membership staff in driving a superior member experience, increasing membership sales, and enhancing membership connection and engagement, i.e. moving members from casual to connected to committed, thereby increasing membership and program retention. This position ensures that membership administration operates efficiently and employs a continuous improvement model to meet and/or exceed goals for membership mix and budgeted net membership revenue.
- Drives membership sales and acquisition, including meeting or exceeding sales and revenue goals (net) for new and existing membership and optimizing the center’s membership mix to drive revenue and member experience. This includes:
- Determining the appropriate mix of memberships to meet center budget goals and targets.
- Collaborating with YMCA Metro Membership, Operations, Marketing and center leadership teams to execute sales and marketing plans for the center. Leverages marketing resources and drives frequent/regular community, web and social media communications and engagement.
- Identifies and follows-up on prospects and other opportunities to increase membership and converts prospects to members
- Provides tours to prospective members and executes on service requests (e.g. fitness consultation, scholarships, etc.)
Membership Engagement and Retention
- Increases member connection and commitment to YMCA programs and services and ensures the member experience is consistent, integrated and aligned to YMCA goals for member experience and engagement. This includes:
- Gathering data about member satisfaction and interests to ensure that they are connected to programs, services, and other members that meet their needs.
- Collaborating regularly with center leadership, program operations, and other related teams to ensure that the member experience in the center is consistent, integrated and aligned with member needs.
- Overseeing new and returning member orientation to ensure effective onboarding and collaborating with fitness and program teams to ensure a seamless transition based on member-specific interests
- Localizing and implementing member outreach and relationship development strategies to increase membership acquisition, engagement and retention
Membership Administration and Front Desk Operations
- Provides leadership to ensure that front-desk operations and administration seamlessly ensured membership engagement, acquisition, retention, and continuous improvement.
- Ensures front-desk operations align with member acquisition, experience and member administration goals
- Drives team initiatives that enhance execution of sales and membership goals.
- Generates and/or analyzes membership, sales and revenue reports to monitor and report on achievement of membership goals.
- Ensures adherence to all YMCA policies and procedures regarding the safety, health and welfare of members, program participants, guests and staff.
- Hires, develops, motivates and retains a committed team passionate about the YMCA’s mission and service to members.
- Completes all job related, supervisory and other trainings as required.
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations. Appropriate training and development will be provided to YMCA team members based on your role and responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Business, Marketing, Fitness or related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 1-2 years as a Membership Experience Supervisor at the YMCA of Metro Chicago or 2-3 years of sales experience in a consumer-focused, relationship-driven sales environment with at least 1 year of supervisory experience.
- Highly motivated with the consistent ability to meet or exceed sales goals and convert prospects to sales
- Ability to quickly build rapport and develop effective relationships with prospects and others to achieve sales goals.
- Knowledge of community engagement and social media strategies to drive sales
- Consistently self-driven and goal-oriented with the ability to set effective team and individual goals and take ownership for results
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and adapt to changing contexts and priorities
- Strong analytical and critical-thinking skills with the ability to identify and leverage relevant data to use in planning and decision-making.
- Ability to understand, adapt to and interact with diverse people, teams, perspectives and cultures
- Proficient in using email, Internet, and other PC-based applications (e.g. Microsoft Office, customer service/tracking applications) with the ability to learn and adapt to new technology.