Job Summary and Key Accountabilities:
Swim Instructor is a key member of the Aquatics team that provides group and private swim lessons for program participants that adheres to YMCA standards for curriculum, instructional quality, safety, certifications and other requirements. This includes ensuring an outstanding experience for each program participant and creating safe, welcoming environment that ensures the physical and emotional well-being of program participants, members and guests.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Effectively implements YMCA swim curricula for various levels and populations depending on class needs as outlined by the standards of the YMCA.
- Prepares progressive lesson plans to enhance the experience of program participants.
- Prepares reports and maintains records, including attendance records, skills sheets, progress reports, etc.
- Enforces aquatic rules and policies by maintaining constant surveillance of class participants.
- Acts as a primary responder in case of injury, accident, or illness in pool area and provides backup to lifeguards as needed in emergencies and crowd control.
- Reports injuries and completes required forms.
- Sets up facility or equipment, and stores equipment upon completion of class. Immediately notifies supervisor of any broken equipment or unsafe aspects of the pool.
- Attends all in-service trainings and staff meetings as scheduled by supervisor or center leadership.
- Maintains job-related certifications and documents completion of certifications in the HR information system
- Supports the mission and vision of the YMCA as assigned
- Provides leadership to other team members (Level 3)
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations. Appropriate training and development will be provided to YMCA team members based on your role and responsibilities.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Current certification YMCA Swim Lessons or ARC Water Safety Instructor, CPR, First Aid, AED and Oxygen certification or must successfully complete the YMCA’s Aquatics Academy training program resulting in certification.
- Passion for working with diverse youth and ability to provide a high-quality of instruction using age-appropriate practices
- Physical mobility to properly use aquatic equipment to rescue a 200 lb. person.
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations in order to assure the safety of all swimmers.
- Must be physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aide effectively.
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Team competencies in previous experience or practice
- Meets physical qualifications required for certification in job
You are the “Y”.
We’re more than a pool - the mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through fitness and healthy living, academic readiness, character development and violence prevention. Our 23 membership centers across the city and suburbs, 5 camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs provide everyone with a safe place to swim, learn, play and grow.
For over 135 years, the YMCA has been a pioneer and set the standard for aquatics and quality swim instruction. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our Swim Instructors to continue this legacy and contribute to the health and wellness of our children, families and communities.