Be a part of our mission.
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our teachers and other team members to help us achieve our mission one child, one family, and one team member at a time.
Our early learning programs create a child-centered environment that promotes learning, character development, healthy living and positive, nurturing relationships. With a commitment to meeting accreditation standards and extensive training and development in research-based practices, you’ll also learn and grow and positively impact our children, families and communities.
Under the direct supervision of the Child Care Site Director, the Assistant Teacher assists the Teacher to provide a safe, structure, and nurturing learning environment for each enrolled child.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Assist the Teacher to plan and implement developmentally and educationally appropriate experiences for children based upon individual and group needs
- Assist in the evaluation and reporting on each child's progress through observation recordings, early childhood screenings, and developmental assessments
- Assist in the maintenance of educational records on each child as required
- Assist in implementing activities and modeling behavior that is reflective of N.A.E.Y.C. and Head Start performance standards
- Encourage and support parent development through classroom volunteerism, home centered activities, home visits, parent/teacher conferences, and participation in parent development activities and meetings
- Observe and respect issues of confidentiality, ethics and best practices of the Early Childhood profession, and mandatory reporting guidelines of the Abuse and Neglect Child Reporting Act
- Maintain required program records in conformance with YMCA procedures, funding source and program performance standards, and applicable licensing and accreditation standards.
AA degree in ECE with two infant toddler courses (six credit hours).
Conditional Employment – Staff with AA in E.C.E: Contingency to complete minimum of 2 college level Infant Toddler Development courses, within 12 months of employment
Preferred candidates will have the following qualifications:
- 2 years of EHS classroom experience in a NAEYC accredited or Head Start classroom
- Experience in implementation of early childhood curriculum (Creative Curriculum) and developmentally appropriate practice for the specific age group
- Experience in child observation, assessment and documenting child’s skills, growth and development