You are the “Y”.
We’re more than a pool - the mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through fitness and healthy living, academic readiness, character development and violence prevention. Our 23 membership centers across the city and suburbs, 5 camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs provide everyone with a safe place to swim, learn, play and grow.
For over 135 years, the YMCA has been a pioneer and set the standard for aquatics and quality swim instruction. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our Aquatics Director to continue this legacy and contribute to the health and wellness of our children, families and communities.
Oversees the operations of the aquatics department and programs, including staff supervision, budget management, and planning. Coordinates and supervises the day-to-day operation of aquatic programs. Maintains records, schedules staff, and ensures proper pool maintenance. Provides swim instruction and life guarding as necessary.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Manages aquatic programs, complying with all Association standards and safety procedures. In addition, also responsible for hiring, training and supervising staff and volunteers for all aquatic programs.
- Develops, manages, and monitors aquatic department budgets. Assesses and recommends budgeting for facility and equipment needs.
- Also provides data and reports on assigned programs in support of the planning process of the branch and Association.
- Provides leadership and support to the annual fundraising campaign, and other volunteer committees as assigned.
- Develops, produces and disseminates appropriate program information in order to promote aquatic programs to the public and to current members.
- Ensures that program areas, equipment and supplies are maintained in an orderly and safe manner.
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor or the person responsible for those items at your site.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to managing visitors and guests at our facilities.
- Report any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Complete all child abuse prevention training as required.
- Completes all other projects as assigned by the Executive Director. Support the interest of the Association as defined by the Director, President and Boards and the strategic plans of those entities.
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations. Appropriate training and development will be provided to YMCA team members based on your role and responsibilities.
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Parks and Recreation or related field with 1 to 3 years aquatics experience with at least 3 years supervisory experience.
- Current YMCA or ARC Lifeguard certification.
- Proficient in swimming and safety skills.
- Must pass a water skills test and written exam.
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations in order to assure the safety of all swimmers.
- Physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aide effectively.
- Physical mobility to properly use aquatic equipment to rescue a 200lb person.
- Physically able to see, hear, and communicate clearly.
- Able to read, write, and perform basic math to complete daily chemical logs and individual must possess strong organizational, budgetary, computer and communication skills, written and verbal.
- Ability to train swim and fitness instructors.
- Excellent communication and public relations skills.
- Requires trainer-level certification in YMCA Swim Lessons: Fitness Classes, Youth & Adult, Preschool, and Child/Parent.