Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 20 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Plan, organize and implement Outdoor education classes or other program classes to the camp customer.
- Assist Program Directors in organizing the overall program structure.
- Assist Program Directors in hosting of groups at camp both weekends and weekdays.
- Teach Outdoor Educational classes to school group.
- Assist Program Directors in planning and implementation of program for all rental groups.
- Serves as a positive role model for students, campers, and staff peers.
- Provide feedback and input at staff meetings.
- Support and act as a resource person to fellow staff members.
- Responsible for facilitating safe programs which meet the customers’ needs.
- Light maintenance and kitchen duties as needed.
- Lead or assist campfire or other evening programs if needed.
- Responsible for set up and take down of program areas. Never leave a program area set up and unattended.
- Must be on time to all activities, staff meetings,etc.
- Attend in-service training appropriate to all components of program delivery and service.
- Share with fellow staff teaching and leadership tools and tricks.
- Maintain high levels of safety standards and enforces all rules we require customers to follow.
- Assist Program Directors in all other programmatic requests and group needs.
- Live on staff must be flexible with varied scheduled program hours (as sometimes we are requested/required to deliver programs on impromptu notice).
- Additional duties as requested
- Supports the commitment of the YMCA to child abuse prevention by:
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children.
- Report any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Complete all child abuse prevention training as required.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Proven abilities in working with children and in recreational settings
- Experience and skills in a variety of camp experiences
- Prior customer service experience preferred
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications (within the past year)
- Must be able to work weekends (Sat-Sun ) as well as weekdays
- Willingness to be trained in belaying and team building skills
- Ability to identify and respond to hazards in camp; such as emergency plan implementation (fire, evacuation, illness, injury).
- Ability to work with different age and skills levels of customers.