Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 23 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Under the director supervision of the Day Camp Director/Program Director, the Day Camp Jr. Counselor is responsible to assist the day camp counselor in the health, safety, and welfare of day campers, demonstrate leadership and show active participation in programs, skill periods and camp related activities. Serve as a positive and wholesome role model to all campers and staff.
Scope and Responsibilities:
- Assist counselors with camper supervision, never to be alone with campers or left as the sole supervision for campers.
- Assist in various program areas (ie. Pool, Waterfront).
- Attend staff meetings and participate on staff planning committees.
- Maintain a positive attitude and refrain from behavior that is to effect the staff morale.
- Assist counselors in maintaining their unit, table and camper belongings in an orderly and clean fashion.
- Responsible for reporting any of your own health concerns- ill/exhausted to your supervisor.
- Participate in Family Night activities.
- Follow all Camp staff policies and procedures at all times
- Assist with teaching of skills periods I choice activities.
- Lead songs with other counselors when needed.
- Participate and ensure cleanliness in trash detail of your assigned area in camp during "all camp cleanup".
- Be available and flexible to provide support and fill in at any area of the day camp as needed
- Responsible for prohibiting intimate displays of affection toward any camper. This including and not limited to: hand holding, writing letters or emails to campers, asking for phone numbers of campers, text messaging campers or sharing phone number with campers. It is prohibited to participate in any camper/counselor romances.
- Jr. Counselors may not discipline or be responsible for camper discipline. Report any concerns or issue with campers to day camp counselor or day camp director
- Supports the commitment of the YMCA to child abuse prevention by:
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children.
- Report any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Complete all child abuse prevention training as required.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- Strong interest, maturity and judgment in working with children in an outdoor setting
- Knowledge and experience in camp related activities preferred
- Current CPR and First Aid Certifications (within the past year)