Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 23 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Under the direct supervision of the Program Director, assist in the management of staff and group activities.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Implementation of the daily program, which will include activities that are developmentally appropriate.
- Directly responsible for leading and caring for a group of children on and off site. Guide campers through varies activities; instruct as needed. Provide attention to campers with special needs without neglecting any camper.
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, and respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth.
- Camp Unit Leader serves as a mentor and role model to camp counselors and in communicating important information to the counselors and providing direction and suggesting improvements when needed.
- Coordinate and communicate with parents regarding camp questions and/or concerns during camp.
- Help staff with specific camper issues and concerns.
- Ensuring the safety of staff and their campers at all times and Assures campers are properly supervised at all times.
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines.
- Participate in the development and implementation of program activities for campers within the mission and outcomes.
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff.
- Provide the daily care of each camper within your supervision.
- Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules and procedures.
- Set a good example to campers and others in regard to general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
- Assist in the overall program structure of day camp; planning and running of all camp activities, including theme days or other special events; be part of all aspects of day camp life when not directly involved in day camp activities; take part in early drop-off and late pick-up on a rotating basis with Program Staff Team.
- Responsible for leading or assisting with the teaching of activities.
- Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure utilization, proper care, and maintenance is adhered to; report repairs needed promptly to the director.
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children.
- Report any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Complete all child abuse prevention training as required.
- Must have a High School Diploma with 1 to 2 years experience working with children and be at least 18 years of age.
- Ability to communicate and train staff and campers in safety regulations and emergency procedures.
- Ability to observe camper behavior and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Ability to identify and respond to hazards in camp such as emergency plan implementation
- Ability to work with a diverse age group and skill level of staff and campers.