Job Summary and Key Accountabilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Program Director, the Aquatics Director coordinates the day-to-day operation of the waterfront program in resident camp.
Scope and Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement pool and waterfront programs and activities that are safe, engaging and meet the camper's needs.
- Train staff in pool/waterfront safety standards and emergency procedures.
- Coaches and mentors camp staff working the aquatic areas. Provides evaluation input to Program Director for staff evaluations.
- Maintain high levels of safety standards and enforce strict safety standard rules at aquatic areas.
- Maintain high levels of lifeguard duty; pull any staff person not upholding those high standards.
- Assist with the over-all functions of the camp daily schedule. Organize pool lifeguard rotations daily.
- Organize and teach waterfront search and supervise practice drills.
- Supervise and organize additional aquatic activities, i.e., swim parties, blobbing, etc.
- Evaluate camper swimming ability at the beginning of every session.
- Report all injuries and complete required forms to the Camp Director/Program Director.
- Responsible for security of the aquatic areas. Secure aquatic areas while not in use.
- Responsible for the overall safety and cleanliness of all aquatic areas and its equipment. Works to keep facilities clean by picking up litter, securing unused equipment properly and tidying up shared spaces
- Initiation of an efficient water safety program for the entire camp in keeping with the YMCA and Red Cross requirements.
Child Abuse Prevention
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Current Lifeguard certification, CPR and First Aid Certification (within the last year)
- At least 1 year aquatics and supervisory experience
- Proficient in swimming and safety skills.
- Must pass a water skills test and written exam.
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations in order to assure the safety of all swimmers. Physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aide effectively.
- Physical mobility to properly use aquatic equipment to rescue a 200lb person. Physically able to see, hear, and communicate clearly.
- Proven ability to establish constructive relationships and interact as a positive role model
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to, and a passion for, the mission of the YMCA and YMCA Family Camp Nawakwa
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Leader competencies in previous experience or practice
- Meets physical qualifications required as outlined in job description
Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 23 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Family Camp Nawakwa is one of a handful of quality YMCA Family Camps in the country. Nestled between Big Crooked and little Sugarbush lakes near Lac du Flambeau, WI, our 180 acres of pristine forest, wetlands, and lakes is teaming with wildlife and picturesque views. Open year-round, there's endless opportunity for families to explore, learn new skills and make lasting memories together. Leave the hustle and bustle of everyday life behind and enjoy time together at YMCA Family Camp Nawakwa!