Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 23 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Family Camp Nawakwa is one of a handful of quality YMCA Family Camps in the country. Nestled between Big Crooked and little Sugarbush lakes near Lac du Flambeau, WI, our 180 acres of pristine forest, wetlands, and lakes is teaming with wildlife and picturesque views. Open year-round, there's endless opportunity for families to explore, learn new skills and make lasting memories together. Leave the hustle and bustle of everyday life behind and enjoy time together at YMCA Family Camp Nawakwa!
Job Summary and Key Accountabilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Program Director, the Resident Camp Counselor is responsible for leading recreational activities with youth and families that stay at Camp Nawakwa. The Resident Camp Counselor organizes and promotes activities such as arts and crafts, sports, games, music, social recreation, camping and various hobbies to provide campers with experiences that provide support and enrichment, teach life skills and promote wellness of spirit, body and mind.
Scope and Responsibilities:
- Organizes, leads and promotes recreational activities, including but not limited to, arts and crafts, fishing, songfests, nature hikes, archery, canoeing and kayaking. Works with the Program Director to create weekly programs to engage campers and provide a variety of experiences for campers of all ages.
- Shares and leads songs with other counselors during campfires and before meals.
- Teaches socially acceptable behaviors to campers by serving as a role model and by using techniques such positive reinforcement and behavior modification.
- Enforces rules and regulations of the facilities to maintain discipline and ensure safety. Monitors all campers and intervenes if campers are behaving inappropriately or unsafely.
- Operates the Camp Store during scheduled hours. Greets campers, operates the cash register, and organizes products on shelves, racks, etc. when necessary
- Sets up facilities and/or equipment for activities and store equipment appropriately after use. Immediately notifies Program Director of any broken or unsafe equipment or if more resources/equipment are needed.
- Works to keep camp facilities clean by picking up litter, maintaining a clean and orderly cabin and tidying up shared spaces where necessary.
- Cleans camp, cabins and bathroom on Saturdays as well as other times as directed by the Program Director and/or Camp Director. (Being able to clean cabins and keep program areas clean is must for this position. The job is not only facilitating programs but working diligently to keep camp clean and presentable to our customers. Nawakwa staff prides itself in top customer service. This service extends from program areas to buildings and grounds.)
- Serves as a lifeguard or look out at the waterfront and at the pool as needed.
- Supports the YMCA’s mission and camp operations as needed.
Child Abuse Prevention
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Must be 18 years of age, or must have completed first year of college
- Strong interest, maturity and judgment in working with children in an outdoor setting
- Knowledge and experience in camp related activities preferred
- Lifeguard Certification preferred but not required
- Must be comfortable engaging, entertaining and leading campers through songs, skits, and other performances and activities
- Must be able to plan activities, generate ideas to develop new activities and be willing and able to improve existing activities to continually enhance the camper experience
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to, and a passion for, the mission of the YMCA and YMCA Family Camp Nawakwa
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Team competencies in previous experience or practice
- Meets physical qualifications required as outlined in job description