Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 23 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Under the direct supervision of the Camp Director/Program Director, the High Ropes Director will organize and implement team's course, climbing tower and high rope programs. High Ropes Director must display ability and skill in belaying, knot tying and rope course set up.
Scope and Responsibilities:
- Organize, supervise and implement safe, fun high ropes, teams, climbing tower programs.
- Display good leadership skills.
- Have a current facilitator ropes course certification by the camp's high ropes vendor.
- Maintain high levels of safety and enforce strict safety rules at all ropes courses.
- Carry out check-in and check-out procedures for ropes program areas.
- Responsible for overall safety checks, cleanliness and upkeep and care of ropes equipment and shed.
- Responsible for security of ropes courses.
- Inform Camp Director/Program Director of any malfunctioning/broken equipment.
- Share OD responsibilities.
- Assist with over-all supervision of the counselors.
- Assist with the over-all functions of the camp daily schedule.
- Maintain and organize ropes sheds and equipment.
- Serve as a positive role model for staff and campers set example of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility..
- Provide leadership to staff training.
- Lead and implement evening activities with other management team members.
- Serve on management team, supervise counselors and share OD responsibility.
- Serve as a support and mentor to counselors.
- Assist in running and organization of morning breakfast meetings.
- Maintain high levels of safety standards and enforce all rules for campers and staff.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Deal with any staff management issues promptly. You are expected to not ask your staff do to anything that you would not do yourself.
- Assist in conducting evaluations for counselors
- Supports the commitment of the YMCA to child abuse prevention by:
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children.
- Report any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Complete all child abuse prevention training as required.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- At least 1 year ropes experience
- At least 1 year in teaching rope and team course
- Current CPR and First Aide Certification (within the past year)
- Ability to train staff and campers of all age levels in safety regulations and emergency procedures
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the rope program. The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.
- Physical strength to spot and belay participates, and respond to emergency situations requiring first aid.