Be a part of our mission.
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our instructors and other team members to help us achieve our mission one child, one family, and one team member at a time.
Our before and after-school programs create a child-centered environment that promotes learning, character development, healthy living and positive, nurturing relationships. With a commitment to meeting accreditation standards and extensive training and development in research-based practices, you’ll also learn and grow and positively impact our children, families and communities.
The Lead Youth Enrichment Instructor serves as an advisor and team leader to an assigned cohort of youth enrichment instructors that are responsible for implementing and adapting a wide variety of enrichment activities for grades K-8 in a before and/or after school program setting. The Lead Youth Enrichment Instructor plays a key role in ensuring that program participants have a safe, supportive, interactive and enriching program experience while ensuring the safety and security of all program participants
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Creates a safe, supportive, interactive and engaging environment for youth that is characterized by teamwork, camaraderie and inclusiveness. This includes demonstrating an appreciation of the youths’ efforts and accomplishments and providing assistance and encouragement to program participants when needed.
- Oversees and monitors enrichment activities within cohort to ensure that instructors have the resources and guidance to deliver a high-quality participant experience.
- Provides effective supervision of youth that is age-appropriate, considers diverse abilities and interests and meets program quality, safety and policy requirements.
- Positively interacts with youth, parents/guardians and other team members to create a respectful, warm, supportive environment. Models self-control, respect and cooperation to teens and other team members. Utilizes youth arrival/departure ensure to share information with parents/guardians and to build relationships.
- Prepares lesson plans on a daily and/or weekly basis outlining program activities, ensures materials and supplies are available and ready for daily program activities, and ensures all program areas and supplies are clean and well maintained regularly.
- Maintains accurate attendance, instructional and other records as necessary to meet program requirements.
- Participates in team meetings and other special events
- 19 years of age and at least 5 years older than the oldest child with whom they work
- Must have a high school diploma; Associates degree or higher preferred
- Must have the proven ability to establish constructive relationships and interact as a positive role model for youth and staff demonstrating the values of respect, responsibility, caring and honesty.
- Commitment to and passion for the YMCA of Metro Chicago’s mission is required including a passion for working with diverse youth.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely present ideas and concepts and tailor communication to multiple audiences.
- Ability to identify and leverage developmentally appropriate practices in conducting after-school activities; ability to observe student behavior and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Continuous learner who leverages opportunities for learning and applies new knowledge and skills.
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Y Team competencies in previous experience or practice.
- Meets physical qualifications required as outlined in job description. The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities