Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 23 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Under the direct supervision of the Program Director, the Outdoor Ice Hockey Referee will call games and maintain structure for YMCA leagues. Also known as a referee.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Responsible for being prompt and professional during all games and program activities.
- Interact with coaches, other sports officials / umpires, youth, parents and YMCA staff.
- Enforce program rules and policies by maintaining constant surveillance of program participants.
- Set up facility or equipment, store equipment, and secure facility upon completion of games/program (on an as needed basis).
- Report equipment problems. Ensure safety of members/participants.
- Respond to and report accidents and incidents to appropriate staff.
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor or the person responsible for those items at your site.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to managing visitors and guests at our facilities.
- Report any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Complete all child abuse prevention training as required.
- Support the YMCA’s mission and center operations as needed.
- Minimum a high school diploma or equivalent.
- 1-3 years of sports officiating / umpire experience.
- Must have a strong knowledge of the sport and league rules.