Be a part of our mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our staff and other team members to help us achieve our mission one child, one family, and one team member at a time.
Our early learning create a child-centered environment that promotes learning, character development, healthy living and positive, nurturing relationships. With a commitment to meeting accreditation standards and extensive training and development in research-based practices, you’ll also learn and grow and positively impact our children, families and communities.
The Head Start Assistant Teacher I in collaboration with the Head Start Teacher provides support in effective instructional strategies, classroom management, learning, assessment, evaluation and related research for children 3-5 years old. The Head Start Assistant Teacher I is responsible for providing developmentally appropriate learning experiences, supervision of children assigned in the classroom, and providing a supportive and positive classroom climate, while ensuring the individual needs of the children are met as mandated by Head Start, NAEYC, federal, state and local standards.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and interpersonal skills in order to relate well with children, parents, co-workers, administrators and community.
- Support high-quality teaching and learning in the classroom that promotes academic readiness.
- Maintains awareness and supervision of the needs of all children and ensures their health and physical safety at all times.
- Aid in the guidance and support of all children including dual language learners and those with special needs.
- Support and assist Teacher in the implementation of English Language Learner programs to inform linguistic and culturally responsive practices.
- Utilize available resources to adapt and apply different instructional methods to support children’s varying needs.
- Assumes the lead in selected activities throughout periods of the day.
- Model and promote appropriate grammar, language, positive interactions and discipline for children and parents.
- Establish and maintain a cooperative attitude of working together with adults assigned to the classroom in planning and implementing activities.
- Assist with preparations for Parent Meetings, Parent/Teacher Conferences, Parent/Child Activities and other classroom/center events.
- Aid in completion of all necessary paperwork for classroom activities.
- Annually complete at least thirty clock hours of professional development, through participation in offered trainings, workshops, in-service days, all staff conferences and maintain log of professional development requirements, including documents supporting completion.
- Participate and support agency/center efforts toward recruitment, enrollment, attendance and retention of eligible families.
- Adhere to Head Start Performance Standards, Developmentally Appropriate Practices and the Creative Curriculum for Preschool.
- Observe and respect issues of confidentiality.
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent in Child Development/Early Childhood Education or related field with a minimum of 15 college credit hours in Early Childhood Education
- At least 3 months experience working in a classroom setting required
- Must pass DCFS background check and maintain clearance throughout employment
- Must meet annual physical requirements
- Experience working with children ages 3-5 years old preferred
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret documents such as policies and procedures
- Demonstrated understanding of child growth and development
- Ability to build rapport with children, parents and families of high risk
- Willing and able to work flexible hours, potentially including some evenings and Saturdays; hours may be adjusted to accommodate program needs
- Occasional travel in the Chicagoland area may be required for training