You are the “Y”.
We're more than a gym—we are a community committed to strengthening bodies, minds and neighborhoods. The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through fitness and healthy living, academic readiness, character development, and violence prevention. Our network of 23 membership centers across the city and suburbs, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow.
Leverage your passion for fitness to be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live.
Instructs fitness and/or related classes.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Plans and instructs fitness and/or related classes, following YMCA standards and guidelines.
- Sets up and takes down class equipment. Reports equipment problems.
- Attends staff meetings and approved trainings as required. Maintain current certifications.
- Observes and discusses individual progress with participants. Develops rapport with members and responds to questions related to fitness.
- Ensures safe and effective workouts. Responds to, and reports, accidents and incidents.
- Discusses and promotes all YMCA programs. Motivates members to commit to long term participation.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergency procedures.
- Plans and implements a program in accordance with the goals and policies of the YMCA. Coordinates activities which are culturally relevant and developmentally appropriate.
- Any additional duties as assigned.
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor or the person responsible for those items at your site.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to managing visitors and guests at our facilities.
- Report any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Complete all child abuse prevention training as required.
- Support the YMCA’s mission and center operations as needed.
- Must have basic knowledge of fitness or equivalent work/education experience.
- Must have at minimum 25 hours of practical experience as a fitness class instructor.
- Must have the ability to lead a fitness class and to motivate and educate members in the field of physical fitness.
- Must be able to respond to safety and emergency situations; ability to set up, move, and store equipment.