Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 23 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Ensure a safe environment through constant circulation of the gym room.
- Represents the YMCA by utilizing tools and information to increase member knowledge of Sports as well as other programs provided through the YMCA (handouts, charts, brochures, etc.).
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with members by providing personal attention every shift to all participants through a proactive approach.
- Provides assistance/guidance and makes an effort to acknowledge all members in the gym room.
- Instructs members, guest, participants where to put their belongings, too ensure safety of their items.
- Responds to, and reports, accidents and incidents. Reports equipment problems.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings. Maintains current certifications.
- Discusses and promotes all YMCA programs. Motivates members to commit to long-term participation.
- Supports the YMCA’s mission and center operations as needed.
- Enforce all building policies and procedures, such as no bags on the floor and proper dress code for all users
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations.
- Gain knowledge of all sports.
- Working knowledge of preventative health and fitness programs and philosophy.
- Ability to motivate and lead members.
- Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
- Ability to communicate to large and small groups of members and the ability to work with all ages.
- Ability to set up, move, and store equipment.
- Effective communication and organizational skills.
- Team oriented ideals, willingness to work hard and a desire to learn.
- Current American Red Cross CPR/AED and First Aid certifications or must obtain within thirty days of employment