Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 23 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Under the direct supervision of the camp food service manager, prepares and cooks meals according to standards set forth by the camp, YMCA, County and State. When working shifts apart from the food service manager or as assigned, be responsible for all meal related kitchen duties including overseeing food aides and dishwashers
Scope and Responsibilities:
- Manage all aspects of food preparation including cooking and serving food according to set standards
- Utilize a variety of cooking techniques: baking, sautéing, grilling, steaming, frying etc.
- Use a variety of kitchen equipment (i.e. slicer, ovens, griddles, mixers, knives, etc.)
- Put customer needs first
- Quality control
- Maintain a clean kitchen at all times
- Be able to understand the details of menu planning and substitute items as needed
- Assist with other kitchen duties as needed (i.e. dish washing if the group is small in size)
- Stock and rotate inventory
- Follow and maintain health department standards for foodservice
- Maintain temperature logs on all refrigerators/freezers
- Other duties as assigned
- Supports the commitment of the YMCA to child abuse prevention by:
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children.
- Report any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Complete all child abuse prevention training as required.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent work/education experience
- Must have prior work experience in food service industry – previous experience as a cook preferred but not required
- Must have ability to follow oral & written instructions
- Willingness to be trained in operating kitchen equipment
- Willingness to be trained and follow food service sanitation practices
- Be able to have and maintain positive relationships with all customers from point of contact
- Must be able to stand on feet for extended period of time; walk stairs; lift up to 50lbs.