Be a part of our mission.
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 20 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you'll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you're not just impacting a bottom line, you're impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
Reporting to the Director of Benefits, the Benefits Specialist is responsible for assisting with the administration of the health & welfare plans (including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, FSA, transit, voluntary benefits, short and long-term disability and leaves of absences), wellness initiatives, annual open enrollment and retirement plans (defined benefit & defined contribution plans). This position lends support by answering complex questions using an in-depth knowledge of company benefits, procedures, and policies; providing professional guidance to location managers; strengthening employee communication; and providing guidance and input to policy and procedures related to benefits.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Ensures administration of employee health and welfare benefits is compliant with laws and consistent with plan provisions, policies, and procedures:
- Serves as liaison between employees and insurance carriers
- Works with carriers to ensure consistent application of determining eligibility for benefits and consistent application of plan coverage policies
- Assists employees with benefit questions and issue resolution
- Coordinates and facilitates enrollment at annual open enrollment for full-time benefits eligible employees
- Submits outstanding payroll deductions and credits to Payroll Department
- Educates employees and retirees on benefit plans at HNO on a rotating basis and during annual open enrollment
- Coordinates the annual wellness screening events with outside vendor, wellness committee, and selected branch locations
- Monitors changes and ensure compliance with State and Federal laws; communicates impacts and recommends best practice solutions to rest of the department
- Assists with annual biometric screening program and wellness initiatives
- Assists with the administration of the defined benefit plan, YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago Employee’s Retirement Plan
- Manages the Leave of Absence program
- Works with third party administrator to ensure consistent application of determining eligibility for FMLA, STD, and LTD
- Ensures consistent application of all Leave programs throughout the Association
- Acts as liaison to employees and the defined contribution plan, The YMCA Retirement Fund (YFund)
- Acts as liaison to employees and third party administrators for the Worker’s Compensation Program
- Works with third party administrators and others to review active claims, loss projections, and containment strategy
- Consults with third party administrator to determine acceptable parameters for returning employees to work
- Educates workforce on compliance with Workers Compensation policies, procedures, and best practice
- Coordinates with HR Manager to ensure that policy is enforced
Child Abuse Prevention
Supports the commitment of the YMCA to Child Abuse Prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to the appropriate department.
- Regularly monitoring staff to ensure compliance with training requirements, policies and procedures related to child safety.
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required.
- Bachelors Degree in Business, Human Resources or related field
- 3-5 years of HR experience, preferably with broad-based benefits administration experience with medical, dental, disability, life insurance and retirement plans
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Excel
- PHR/SPHR preferred but not required